some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - adam f
does anyone know if there is some kind of thing on the market that will scare birds away? my allocated parking at my flat is directly under a tree and my car is forever covered in bird poop. i want something that will keep them away forever cos it is costing me a fortune cleaning the car.
any help other then going down the road of applying for it to be chopped back/down?
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - massey
Airport runway staff employ an array of such devices.

A recording of a bird in distress seems to work in the short term till they eventually get used to it.

I guess a 'gas gun' crow scarer (loud bang)in a bulit up area would cause problems with neighbours?
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - Xileno {P}
Get a cat. Or cover the car with one of those plastic sheet things.
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - mjm
I'll send you a full size photograph of my face, Adam. That should do it.
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - apm
Peregrine falcon. Westminster abbey have one they bring in to keep the pigeons away!

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - trancer
Get a lifesize replica of an owl and stick it up the tree. A co-worker did this as he used to park his boat under a tree and found it constant covered in bird droppings. The one he used was plastic and didn't look like it would fool other birds, but there was very little mess after after he got it.
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - Chicken Vindaloo
"Get a lifesize replica of an owl and stick it up the tree. A co-worker did this as he used to park his boat under a tree and found it constant covered in bird droppings. The one he used was plastic and didn't look like it would fool other birds, but there was very little mess after after he got it."

I'll second this. I did some work for Boots in Nottingham some years ago and they had a plastic owl placed in the rafters protecting the workers in the transport section from pigeons. Worked a treat.
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - Martin Devon
Get a lifesize replica of an owl and stick it up
the tree. A co-worker did this as he used to
park his boat under a tree and found it constant covered
in bird droppings. The one he used was plastic and
didn't look like it would fool other birds, but there was
very little mess after after he got it.

The potential problem with an Owl is they tend to attract corvids, I.e. crows and the like. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

vbr..............md
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - slowdown avenue
plastic sheet that clings on ,. or tie some old video tape around afew branches
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - Kevin
If they are pigeons a Browning D5G should work and is mighty pretty too!

On a similar note:

Earlier this week we walked into our local and while ordering a drink asked the landlord if he could find the owner of a black M3 convertible. No-one came forward.

I hate to think what the interior of that car looked like after being parked under a pigeon roost for a few hours with the hood down.

Kevin...
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - L'escargot
Try felling the tree, that should do it!
--
L\'escargot.
some sort of bird scarer?!?!?!?!?!? - L'escargot
Let me know when you find something that works. A pair of collared doves perch on our double-floodlight security light!
--
L\'escargot.