Oil Suction - Greg R
Looking at the other thread about oil changes, I was wondering where you can buy these things that can take oil out of engines and of course thins makes changing oil really easy.

Thanks for any information in advance.
Oil Suction - jacks
Lots of places to buy Oil Extractors (I take it you mean vacuum suction devices).........the cheapest places are usually Boat Chandlers as they are widely used by boat owners with inboard engines where access underneath the engine is not possible.

I bought a 6 Litre vacuum suction pump recently from Force4 Chandlery for £27.50 and it works very well.
www.force4.co.uk

Other well known brands are Pela

The Pela 6000 is available for £29.95 from
Seamark Nunn (www.seamarknunn.com)
and from
www.cdet.co.uk/catalogue/pelapumps.asp

I bought from Force4 because they were cheaper and they have a branch near me so I was able to pick up.

Opinion is divided regarding the use of these pumps with many prefering to drain conventionally via the sump plug
Oil Suction - sor1n3l

LOL! I just came across this post now. I started like a mad man to look for a Pela oil suction pump after I saw this and found that they were pretty expensive everywhere else. Then I realized that the post is since 2006 so that made a lot of sense to me :)). I end up buying mine from these guys www.foxschandlery.com/

Edited by sor1n3l on 13/04/2018 at 18:16

Oil Suction - P 2501
Its called a pela i think. I have the 6000 (6L) capacity one and it is brilliant.

Use it when the engine is hot and i am convinced it is 99% as effective as draining.
Oil Suction - Dynamic Dave
Previous discussion here, with several links on where and what type to buy:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36095
Oil Suction - robcars
I tried 1 as an experiment on an engine I was going to strip down.

Would normally use flushing oil,(not additive type); drain old oil and refill to min with flushing oil, run engine for 10 miles and then drain via sump bung.

Used flushing oil as I would, so 2 oil changes and extraction compared to conventional?

Not as good; only of use to me when there is no sump bung. But make your own choice!
Oil Suction - Hamsafar
I bought a PL-650 Big PELA Oil Extractor from ebay for about £40 IIRC. Excellent quality, everyone wants to borrow it.
You'll learn what angle to set the car at to get all of the oil out. Can be used to empty power steering reservoirs, diffs, gearboxes etc... too, even the mower's oil.

On my last car, I found I could empty the power steering reservoir with it, stick one of the three pipes into the hole in the reservoir where the fluid return came in, refill the reservoir, and start sucking and filling the reservoir while someone started the engine, the Pela sucked quick enough to only need the engine stopping once. It did a complete flush with the ATF I had, without disconnecting anything, once my 2 1l bottles were empty, the engine was stopped. Job done.

Oil Suction - Greg R
Thanks for all your advice.

I bought a Pela 6000 oil extractor and have changed the oil in both my bikes. It is so quick and simple. And it seems to take out everything.

I think it probably takes out less than the drain screw, but then I can just change the oil more frequently. And this can be used to drain the coolant as well. I will now use it on my car!

I think on my motorbike, as it only has a strainer, I will change the oil this way once, and second time with the drain screw. It is a lot cleaner anyway. And quicker.

This can also be used to take fuel out of a car/ motorbike if it is misfueled with the wrong fuel. This will of course save £100 should it ever happen!!!

So overall, a great system!

If I wanted to drain the coolant, would I need to take any precautions?? How would I deal with air bubbles and overheating on changing the coolant?

And also, I tried to take some diesel out of my fathers crash damaged car, but I couldn't get any diesel out. Is there a special method of doing this?

Oil Suction - Chris S
And also, I tried to take some diesel out of my
fathers crash damaged car, but I couldn't get any diesel
out. Is there a special method of doing this?

Most modern vehicles have an anti-syphoning device in the fuel-filler neck.
Oil Suction - Greg R
'Most modern vehicles have an anti-syphoning device in the fuel-filler neck.'

My dads vehicle is a 1984 toyota camry. It probably has this device somewhere then.
Oil Suction - Peter D
Greg, It is rare for a vehicle to have access to the lowest point of the cooling system to sut it out so it is probable a pipe off job. Sucking out fuel is possible but slow and as soon as you have exceeded 5 lts I am led to believe you are breaking the law. You need a licence to store more than 5 ltrs at a domestic premise. Regards Peter
Oil Suction - Hamsafar
I plan to try bleeding brakes with mine, I will buy some clear PVC tubing that fits the nipple and the nylon pipe on the Pela.
I'll also fit an aquarium airline tap to regulate the flow.
Oil Suction - edlithgow
I plan to try bleeding brakes with mine, I will buy some clear PVC tubing that fits the nipple and the nylon pipe on the Pela. I'll also fit an aquarium airline tap to regulate the flow.

For this a large syringe (50-60ml enema syringe) is simpler and much better.

Cheap, gives you complete control, and can be used to push or pull fluid, or cycle between the two.

Appropriate technology.

Oil Suction - kithmo
I honestly fail to see how these make changing the oil easier ?
On most cars you still have to get underneath to remove the filter so why not remove the sump plug at the same time. They probably make the collection and disposal of the old oil a bit more convenient than using SWBO's washing up bowl, but if you have a purpose made oil drainer/collector plastic container it's just as easy. The easiest way to change the oil and filter BTW is take the car to your local Rapidfit or whatever and let them do it for you. ;-)
Oil Suction - Peter D
Becareful using these devices for bleeding brakes as the suction may be too great. The pro Bleeders have a suction releaf valve to avoid the suction shooting up when you close the nipple and possibly air passed a seal. Used a small adaptor/washer bottle joint coupling and drill a 1.5 mm hole in it. Remember you will empty the header tank very very quickly. Regards Peter
Oil Suction - Hamsafar
Well, I agree it is easy on some, but others have plastic covers underneath to remove and refit, torx drain plugs, and a filter element which is in a canister under the bonnet.
Oil Suction - Chris S
The easiest way to change the
oil and filter BTW is take the car to your local
Rapidfit or whatever and let them do it for you. ;-)

Unfortunately they tend to overfil, which means crawling around in the gutter to drain some out.

You also don't know if they've used the correct grade oil, which is important in a modern engine.

If you want a job done properly do it yourself!
Oil Suction - Greg R
I understand that on the Smart cars, it has no drain plug. So they have to suck the oil out. So if they do it on Smarts, they can do it on any car! Anyway, I have a motorcycle and the garages take one hours labour to change the oil...£40 at least. So better to do it myself really! And the satisfaction!
Oil Suction - Peter D
Remember the Smart car sump and dip stick hole was designed for vacuum extraction but those not designed for vacuum extraction may not allow the thin tube to go right to the bottom. If you force too much pipe in it can bend curve off the bottom of the sump. If you have to do it measure the depth the pipe can get down to compared with an outside measurement and compare the oil volume removed with the manual excluding filter of course. Having said all this most cars can be emptied quite well using vacuum extraction. Is there not a couple of Merc models that have no sump plug. Regards Peter
Oil Suction - Bill Payer
I honestly fail to see how these make changing the oil
easier ?
On most cars you still have to get underneath to remove
the filter so why not remove the sump plug at the
same time.

A fair number of cars now use a replaceable cartridge filter that's located under a plastic cover located near the top of the engine.
Also, getting at the sump plug generally involves removing a (sometimes) fiddly undertray.
Not removing the sump plug also removes the risk of it (or its thread) getting damaged.
Oil Suction - henry k
Also, getting at the sump plug generally involves removing a (sometimes) fiddly undertray.
Not removing the sump plug also removes the risk of it (or its thread) getting damaged.

>>
Ford Focus "Replace the sump plug at oil change"
It was good advice cos the washer was damaged and cannot be bought on its own.
I suspect few, if any, quick suck places fit a new sump plug.
Oil Suction - Manatee
Why would you need to fit a new sump plug if the old one has not been removed?

I have started doing intermediate oil changes with a sucker and to be honest I'd prefer the dealer to do the same - in the past, I've found that cars with undertrays tend to end up with missing or bodged fixings after a few visits to the dealer's, and in one case the undertray half fell off. My experience of main dealers (Ford, Audi, Saab, VW, Vauxhall over the last few years)has been that the less they do, the fewer problems I have. Cynical? Very.
Oil Suction - S40 Man

They are a joy to use. You coukd do the job in your best suit. Remove dipstick, insert hose to bottom, pump the vacuum, watch oil extraction, remove hose. Replace dipstick, refill oil.

No crawling on the ground, not hit oil to collect, no annoying oil spills on drive/road.

My mondeo has gone from 100k to 200 K with good reliability over this time.

Oil Suction - R75
Having just purchased a Pela 650 for £22 (good old ebay)I am going to start doing 6 monthly changes on my cars - the 12 monthly will still be a full service at the local indy - I don't really intend to change the filter as they are awkward to get at. Do you think this is a bad idea? The cars do less then 10k a year but is is mostly short runs and stop starting, hence why I think a 6 monthly oil only change will be of benefit.
Oil Suction - Falkirk Bairn
I don't really intend to change
the filter as they are awkward to get at. Do you
think this is a bad idea? The cars do less then
10k a year but is is mostly short runs and stop
starting, hence why I think a 6 monthly oil only change
will be of benefit.

Changing oil only cannot do any harm but then again there is probably 1 pt (0.5ltr) of "old oil" in the filter at any one time which will not be changed - Oil Capacity say 7 pts - 1 pt in the filter - you are changing 85%.

Oil Suction - Aprilia
Yes, not a bad idea at all.
Oil Suction - oilrag
I have used one of these suction devices for years on several cars. It means I can do an oil and filter change stood in front of the car as it has one of the modern cartridge filters.
In fact its so clean a method I did the last oil change without changing my attire, just a pair of rubber gloves.
Oil Suction - BobG
I've had an Americam suction device for just over a year.It seems to get out the same amount ofoil as I got by removing the sump plug and I have not noticed the oil to be significantly dirtier just after changing in either of the two cars we own. I now only remove the plug once a year ( in the summer!) just in case it corrodes in place and do an oil and filter change at 6000 miles or in my case about 4 months- no more thinking about lying on a cold garage floor and putting of that oil change. Even removing the plug will not get all the oil out so I doubt that the tiny amount left in the sump will make any difference.