Citroen Xantia - Changing Sphere's - Engr
I figure this question will have been asked so many times in the past....but how ever here goes.

I have just bought a 1996 Xantia VSX Petrol Turbo Estate, personally I Love It, so if anyone wants to diss me then dont bother....

Just looking for advice on changing the sphere's.... I think its hydractive, but i'm gettin differing views from all garages, I'm a squaddie living in Germany and well the local citreon garage wants a small fortune to change them..

Question...where is the best place for me to buy these and have them shipped out, or the address of a decent garage who will change and service the hydraulics???

Regards

Engr
Citroen Xantia - rip
Go to the following link and ask. Also look through to search facilities, lots on changing spheres.

www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Regarding a reliable seller, gsf are good i hear, not brought spheres from them but i believe they are made by amtex with a two-year warranty, from new. They also post overseas, check their website out www.gsfcarparts.com. The spheres themselves are around £20+vat, so changing all 8 will cost 160+vat just for the spheres, maybe better to decide which ones to change, then get these shipped over. Changing them is not that difficult, despite what all the garages will tell you, don?t believe them if they say its a big job, chances are they don?t know what there talking about and will try to take you for a ride.

Also check the sphere application table, it will show which spheres you need.

www.gsfcarparts.com/downloads/sphere_table.pdf

If it?s a vsx then it will have 8 spheres, 2 front comfort in the bonnet near the wing, 2 rear comfort near the rear tyres, 2 hydractive, 1 anti sink at the rear in the centre, 1 accumulator in the engine near the radiator.

Citroen Xantia - stevie70
Hi,

Just changed the fromt spheres on my Dads 98 xantia.
Nice and easy job, all you have to do is lower the suspension to the lowest position then de-pressurise the system.
This is done by backing off the nut on the pressure pump.
All you need then is a good strap wrench and undo them nice and slowly so you can catch any fluid loss with a cloth.
When you fit the new spheres make sure you have new rubber seals, only cost a couple of quid from cit dealers.
Not sure of the price of the spheres, i will find out and post back.
Citroen Xantia - PhilW
"This is done by backing off the nut on the pressure pump."
The nut is on the pressure regulator (front of sphere mounting just behind radiator 14mm nut I think) not the "pressure pump" - and don't slacken it to far - about 1 to 1 and quarter turns is enough otherwise you will lose a little ball bearing that is essential to its operation - best to loosen it very slowly til you hear the slight his of pressure being released)
"new rubber seals" these usually come with the spheres - fit them in place in the sphere mounting before fitting the spheres - don't put them on the threaded bit of the sphere first.
ALWAYS (sorry to shout!)USE AXLE STANDS TO SUPPORT THE CAR WHEN YOU ARE WORKING UNDER IT! Sudden loss of pressure means a Xantia on top of you - they are very heavy!!!!
Spheres from GSF are about £20 each.
--
Phil
Citroen Xantia - PhilW
PS I have a copy of the Citroen Training Manual for Hydactive II as a PDF file if you want it - it's 78 pages , most of which I don't understand! If you want a copy perhaps you could contact me through the MODs and I could email you a copy?

--
Phil
Citroen Xantia - PhilW
Another site worth consulting re spheres
www.pleiades.uk.com/home.html
--
Phil
Citroen Xantia - Collos25
Long experience with Citroen's mainly xm's which we still have is that it is better to change all the spheres at one go when you first get the car.I think maybe 6 on your xantia,GSF are very good not the cheapest but there service is excellent.
Citroen Xantia - Engr
Thank you for your help