should my car do this??? - Allie
Having discovered that my pre purchase car inspection may not have been as thorough as it should I am now doubting every little thing about my car and would appreciate opinions from those who know about this kind of stuff...

I unlocked the car the other day to proudly polish the dashboard of my new baby, sat in the drivers seat, put my key on the passenger seat, got my cloth out and just got started when the doors locked by themselves and couldn't be opened from the inside. After about 5 seconds panic I realised I had the key and unlocked it via the remote. I started cleaning again, really confused as to how I had managed to lean on the key and lock the door when it happened again! This time I know I did not press anything!

I decided that it must be some sort of fancy security device so thieves would get locked in (and it stopped happening once I put the key in the ignition so I could listen to the radio)and thought no more of it. However since discovering that they apparently did miss something on the check I am now a bit worried. I have just read the handbook and it describes this type of locking as 'double locking' but says that you need to press the lock button on the remote twice in 5 seconds for it to work and I didn't press it at all, I just unlocked the car, got in and started cleaning!

Is this a security feature or is something up?

cheers,

Allie
should my car do this??? - artful dodger {P}
Allie

What is the type of car and what age?

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
should my car do this??? - Statistical outlier
It's a common security feature, designed to stop you accidentally leaving your car unlocked. And your problem is probably related to your lights buzzer not sounding.

Normally, if you unlock the car and don't open any doors for 30 seconds, it assumes that you've knocked the button in a bag or pocket while walking away, and then re-locks. Sounds to me like a switch in yours is dodgy, so it doesn't realise that you've opened the door. So, when you don't put in the key and start it, it assumes an accidental unlock, and locks up.

I'g go talk to your dealer about the door switches and buzzers again.

Gord.
should my car do this??? - v0n
Most of modern cars these days lock and arm themselves automatically after few minutes when left unlocked without starting. Mine can be opened from inside if last remote unlock was double key press (as in - all doors open) or via "all unclock" button on drivers doors if last remote unlock was drivers doors only.
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Thanks for the replies - Artful it is a '01 Yaris if this can shed any light.

I think I might drive it down to the Toyota dealer (I didn't buy it from them though) and see if they will have a quick look. The only thing is they were really unhelpful on the phone and this has put me off a bit.

Allie
should my car do this??? - Altea Ego
Allie

Have you checked if the light goes out when you close the fridge door.....?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
should my car do this??? - cheddar
Gordon M has, I think, hit the nail on the head, it could be that your interior light switch is switched to "off" so it is not activated by the doors opening, the would ensure that the lights on buzzer would not work and perhaps cause the auto relock to function as you describe. If not return to the dealer.
should my car do this??? - tr7v8
Perfectly correct, my wifes Corolla does that. Did it come with a handbook? If so it would be worthwhile reading it.
Allie, Does the term "New Car Paranoia syndrome" ring any bells?

;-)

Its ok - we all get it!

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
should my car do this??? - IanJohnson
Do as Gordon suggests but let the dealer get in to the car and keep the key yourself - when it locks him in it will ensure he gets the message!
should my car do this??? - Statistical outlier
Ian, did you ever notice my question about your fleet managers' Accord? My garage are asking if I can find out exactly what they did, as they have two other cars that are only doing 40.
should my car do this??? - bell boy
Allie you paid £4700 at a dealer for this car yes? then take it back and get him to sort it,you paid a premium price so he will have factored in a problem scenario into his profit.im sure you will get a good reception off him even though you waived your rights with the full inspection by a qualified inspector.
Dont worry cars are only washing machines with wheels they are rarely perfect.
should my car do this??? - cheddar
Have you checked that the interior light is set to come on when the doors are opened?
should my car do this??? - David Horn
And have you tried using the passenger door - ie, unlock car, open passenger door, close again, and then see if it locks itself.
should my car do this??? - Stuartli
My 1999 Bora (and presumably virtually all VAG products) will automatically lock itself after approximately 30 seconds if one of the front doors is not opened after the remote has been used to unlock the vehicle.

It puzzled me at first when I first washed it, having unlocked the doors to be able to get into the car if necessary.

Eventually a browse through the manual revealed the security measure, along with the fact that one click on the remote only opens the driver's door and two clicks all the doors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
(and presumably virtually all VAG products)

The electrical enigma that the germans have renamed to the Touran only autolocks the boot under these circumsatnces.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
should my car do this??? - George Porge
(and presumably virtually all VAG products)
The electrical enigma that the germans have renamed to the Touran
only autolocks the boot under these circumsatnces.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

The alarm / locking can be programmed to do all sorts of different things for different uses. See you dealer or an independant if you would like it set differently
ask them to program the rear door open warning on to the dash panel (if you dont have MFD2)

err sorry sir you cant

But it know's - the washer and wiper wont work and the light is on

Yes i know sir but they took that function out of the computer

DOH

I want to meet the man who signed off the electrical bus design and computer program for the Touran

I WANT HIS HEAD ON A SPIKE ON THE GATES AT WOLFSBURG!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
should my car do this??? - pdc {P}
Try holding the open button down for abut 5 seconds. All the windows should open. Hold the lock button down, and they close.
should my car do this??? - Bill Payer
Sure, it's a pretty common feature, but it shouldn't operate once a door has been opened. Even then it surely shouldn't deadlock?

It's downright dangerous really, what if the OP had put the keys down and then got in the car? They'd have had to smash a window to get out.
Hi gang,

well, I didn't take it to the dealer I got it from, I took it to Toyota to check what was wrong first (so I might at least be able to imitate someone who knew what they were talking about when I went back to the dealer!).

At first I had to get past the receptionist who unfortunately I had spoken to on the phone earlier that day and she insisted that my car didn't have the buzzer function and that it was normal to lock me in. Luckily I had made my dad come with me to stand there and look like Phil Mitchell (I swear they just don't take women seriously) and with him glaring and me insisting that Toyota UK customer services had looked up my cars reg and said it should have the buzzer function she took my keys and said she'd get a technician to look at it very begrudgingly. It's true what they say - a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing...

He had a look and said something about a bulb or switch or something on the drivers side having gone and that was what was stopping the buzzer working (I still don't know what he means but a couple of you smarty-pants cleverly mentioned something like this!). He said that the part would cost £9.75 vat and they would put it in for me as it would only take a minute so its not worth the hassle of taking it back where I got it from for that amount (even though their terms and conditons clearly state that their report cannot be used by a dealer to get out of a warranty claim).

He also said it was normal for the car to lock me in if the key was not in the ignition which if I am perfectly honest I am still not convinced by because it only says in the handbook that this will happen if the door has not been opened 30 seconds after being unlocked. I'll do as suggested and try the passenger side as they all had a Friday afternoon attitude. Imagine if by some cruel twist of fate I got locked in when cleaning the car again just at the moment the remote battery happened to go...

You're right I do have that new car paranoia thingy!!!

Allie
should my car do this??? - Manatee
Perhaps the fix for the lights-on-bong will also 'cure' the locking? If it doesn't know when the door's been opened that would account for it not bonging, and re-locking. Have they done it yet?

At least you have RTFM'd. My wife complained bitterly that although she could set the seat position on our old Scorpio with the memory#2 button, every time she got back in it would reset itself for my settings while she was sitting there. Sure enough, that's what it was programmed to do - set the seat position to the memory#1 every time the plipper was used to open it...
Not yet - they said they needed to order the part and it should be in next week. I'll let you know...

Allie
Update - just to let you know I tried getting in the passenger side after unlocking the car as suggested and it didn't lock me in - so it obviously is linked to the lights on buzzer not working and shouldn't be happening and you were all right and the Toyota engineer was wrong!!!!!

I'll see if this rectifies itself after the switch thing with the buzzer is sorted and let you know.

Its a bit worrying that I have to ask you guys on here what is wrong with my car so that I can then go and tell a Toyota engineer...

Allie