Audi cooling fan - pete
The engine air cooling fan is spinning after a cold start up , i haven't touched it so I'm not sure if its free wheeling but it looks to be going at the same speed as the pulley its fitted to.
I understood the fan to be a viscous coupling type which should only engage when hot? so thought it would be stationary when cold.
Is this correct?
Re: Audi cooling fan - David W
Pete,

If you have a viscous coupling type fan it will rotate a little due to drag in the coupling, even at idle when cold.

Sometimes you can tell by the noise (lack of) that they are only idling. If you can spin the fan on the hub with the engine off it should be OK.

David
Re: Audi cooling fan - Julian Lindley
David,

What is the principle of a viscous fans operation?

When an engine is cold the fans oil has greater viscosity, which without me having a deeper knowledge of its mechanism, implies oil drag and fan drive. This of course is in conflict with what is required.

In reality, I know that apart from low speed rotation, a correctly functioning viscous drive fan does not operate at low engine temps.

Kind regards,

Julian L
Re: Audi cooling fan - El Dingo (Martin)
Julian,

The fan hub bearing is filled with a wax that stiffens when it gets hot (phwooarhhh!!!).

(sorry, it just slipped out).

Martin.