306 HDi A/C Comp - RichardW
We changed the bottom pipe on my mate's 306 HDi which had rotted through. He took it along to get it recharged, and the guy advised that the oil level in the compressor should be checked to ensure that it hadn't blown all the oil out of the hole. AFAIK the test plug is on the top of the compressor so you either have to be multi-jointed, or remove the compressor to check it. A quick trial made it seem that getting the comp off was v difficult. Anybody got any tips for checking the level or removing the compressor?
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 HDi A/C Comp - Dave N
You can't check the oil level on these (or almost any other) compressor. The oil is spread around the whole system, so what's in the compressor is immaterial. The industry practice is to add an 'amount' that one would think has been lost through the leak.

For a pipe/hose that hasn't suffered and instantaneous leak, then I would add 30ml to be sure.
Thanks Dave - hoped you'd be along. I'll pass on the info.
--
RichardW

Dragging this one up again....

He got some gas / dye put in, it worked OK, but it's got a leak in the condenser. He's ordered up a new condenser and the tool to get the pipe off - any tips to fit it? Does the rad have to come out, does it have the stupid bottom hose connector, or is it best to take the rad out complete with hose?

Cheers

--
RichardW

i can't remeber if the HDi has the stupid fitting, but I would say yes.

He also needs to replace the radiator as that will be rotton as well, and it will save him overheating the engine. It has to come out anyway, so for another £90, it's worth doing.

You can't get the rad out with the hose, you need the special 'ET fingers' tool.
306 HDi A/C Comp - dieselhead
Think it's allready all been said but anyway I had a 306's air con recharged this morning ( after changing corroded pipe) and they insisted it wasn't neccessary to add more oil. I got the the ac place to remove/ refit weird pipe connector as tool used looked expensive.

Use copper grease on all O rings

The bayonnet fitting on the radiator is modified on the hdi's so might be easier to fit but I would recommend filling the radiator and checking for leaks before you get too far as it's a pain to take out again when it starts leaking. Expect to buy new clips for the grille at it's ends as they have a habit of breaking. When that's off I think theyre is a header tank bracket to remove then the rad should lift out..
306 HDi A/C Comp - LeePower
Those clips for the grill are very expensive, IIRC they are around 8 pence each + VAT
They should always add oil to replace any that's lost with the old component.

For a pipe or hose that hasn't suffered a sudden failure, it should be 20ml. Not a great deal when the whole systems holds maybe 150ml, but it should still be done.
306 HDi A/C Comp - Fullchat
Certainly seems to be a theme with 306 aircon. Bit like XUD connrod throwing.
--
Fullchat