Early Rover 214 injection - Peter Bowman
A retired ex-colleague of mine has an early 'F' reg Rover 214 which his wife uses. The car is his ex company vehicle, has covered 57k miles and is immaculate. He has recently encountered some difficulty with his injection system and has been told by the Rover dealers in Slough, that they no longer have diagnostic equipment suitable for such an old vehicle! The problems he has, seem to me to centre around the idle valve (either no tick over at all or 1500 rpm) and he has also been told the CO level is very high.
Can anyone please advise, firstly which injection system this is (Rover-Honda?) and secondly of any good tune up agent or garage near S Bucks which would be able to help. Many Thanks.
Re: Early Rover 214 injection - David W
Peter,

Didn't think you could get an F-reg 214. They were introduced in Oct'89 and the F plate finished July'89.

Anyway you need the engine code to be sure of the system.

Yours may well be the K16-1.4 which uses the Rover SPi system, as does the 14K4C/D engine.

A 14K4F is listed using the Lucas MEMS system ('92 on?).

There are also two with carbs. The K8 and 14K2D.

I bet the dealers have looked at the age/value of this vehicle and backed away! The Tune-Up boys will know the most likely problem I guess.

David
Re: Early Rover 214 injection - Nicholas Moore
That's what I thought - mine is a March 1990 G.

Might be work giving Crown Garage a ring in Soham, Nr Ely, Cambs (bit of a trek, though) to see if they can sort you out. They have never let us down - see good garages guide.
Re: Early Rover 214 injection - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
A common problem with these are Blocked vacuum hose to the ECU. Disconnect it from the ECU and blow down it preferably with an air line to dislodge any oil solids. If you are feeling brave,and have the correct tools, remove the ECU and take off the covers. Disconnect the soft rubber hose connecting the Map sensor to the outside and clean this also. Connect the lot back up again and see if that has helped.
The idle stepper motor suffers with failed solder joints inside, and air leaks around the throttle body
Re: Early Rover 214 injection - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
Something else just came to mind, coolant level is critical on these as the temp sensor sits high in the system and the system itself is prone to air locks. Check also the sensor itself, if it is the original one it may well be failing.