Question for Rita - Alwyn
Rita,

Enjoying your coffee and Jammy Dodgers?

Pray tell: how did you get on with the fault on your 740. What was it?
Re: Question for Rita - Rita
Alwyn, - coffee yes, jammy dodgers, ugh!!

I don't know whether you have read any of my previous posts re the 'cutting out' problem. I had numerous suggestions for which I was most grateful.

The car was taken to a garage for diagnostics several weeks ago. Husband drove Volvo, I followed him with 2nd car. Volvo cut out 7/8 times
- junctions, roundabouts, idling etc. -. in 10/12 min. drive. Garage said that they thought it was a carb. fault; also that it was running 'very rich'. whatever that means. Odd thing is is that the Volvo didn't cut out on the way back home.

The following day we discovered that a brake caliper had seized. Part had to be ordered, delivered, collected and then we had to wait until following week for mechanic to come and fix it. So far so good. HWWBO was not chuffed at cost. In the meantime I had to drive the crap Mercedes; what a comedown!

The Volvo was taken into carb. place for test. Read as follows and I hope you understand it -

a. Some small amount of sediment was found in the carb.

b. An additional inline filter to fuel supply was installed.

c. A rubber hose from manifold to air filter was blocked off as not deemed necessary.

d. Set-up on computer for mixture and tick-over was adjusted so mixture less rich.

The above is as clear as mud to me.

However, I have driven the car on several shortish trips (15/20 minutes) just to test the waters so to speak. So far it seems to be O.K. But I am still a bit wee bit ambivalent as to whether this is a permanent cure or not.

At this juncture, I am very hesitant to mention, even in a whisper, to him indoors that I think that there is now too much play on the brake pedal. Could this be mere coincidence, I ask myself, or just plain old-fashioned paranoia?

Have you been sufering from a similar car problem or just interested in my outcome?

'bye now

Rita