St George's Cross flags - L'escargot
Although I'm totally in favour of patriotism, I can't help feeling that making a car conspicuous by attaching St George's Cross flags is (in today's unruly society) inviting the attention of lowlife. I always try to keep my car as inconspicuous and as anonymous as possible.
--
L\'escargot.
St George's Cross flags - Stuartli
Can't say it's been any such problem in my area - in fact it's great that so many people are "flying the flag", presumably already awaiting England's endeavours in the World Cup.

However, as I've drawn Ivory Coast in my club's sweep, I'm not too hopeful of winning the big pot...:-(
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
St George's Cross flags - Ian (Cape Town)
I dunno - that lad Drogba looks quite useful...
Anyways, Cote d'Ivoire reached the Final of the African Nations Cup this year. Worth at least a quarterfinal berth, if you ask me.

But flags on cars? p****. Very, very p****. Almost as p**** as those silly red nose thingies, but at least the red noses give something to charity ...
Fortunately they have never taken off on this side of the world.
St George's Cross flags - eProf
But flags on cars? p****. Very, very p****. Almost as p****
as those silly red nose thingies, but at least the red
noses give something to charity ...
Fortunately they have never taken off on this side of the
world.

You weren't in Jo'burg for the 1995 Rugby World Cup! The new South African flag was everywhere! "One het gewen!" (We've won)!

...but that was a long time ago.

e Prof
>>You weren't in Jo'burg for the 1995 Rugby World Cup!>>

I was there in January 1996 and, at J'burg airport's Irish bar, the Rugby fans were out in great force enjoying the Guinness..:-)

We were waiting for our flight back to London. The fans' behaviour was exemplary.
>>I was there in January 1996>>

Should read November 1996, so might not have been the same Rugby event. But there were a lot of Irish fans...:-)
St George's Cross flags - jc2
You'll stand out by not having one!!
St George's Cross flags - Altea Ego
Dont worry, they will only be flying during the qualifying group stages......
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Funny how you never see the saltire flying on cars during the world cup - why is that? ;p
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Funny how you never see the saltire

Er, what's a saltire when it's at home?
--
L\'escargot.
>> Funny how you never see the saltire

OK, so I'm a sassenach!
--
L\'escargot.
St George's Cross flags - drbe
>> >> Funny how you never see the saltire
>>
>> Er, what's a saltire when it's at home?
OK, so I'm a sassenach!
--
L\'escargot.

A Sassenach is a Lowland Scot.
St George's Cross flags - commerdriver
>> Funny how you never see the saltire
--
L\'escargot.

The saltire is the national flag of the well known footballing nation "Scotland nil", a nation not obsessed with the statistical likelihood of a country which won a tournament at home 40 years ago having any chance of winning one now in a foreign country.
St George's Cross flags - Wally Zebon
The saltire is the national flag of the well known footballing
nation "Scotland nil"

Is that the same country that won the Kirin Cup at the weekend in Japan? What HAVE England won since 1966?

Back to the motoring though....I live just 30 miles from the border and we see a lot of cars heading up from "dan sowf" with their little flags flying. Not too many have them flying on the way back though. I wonder why that is?
St George's Cross flags - tr7v8
Because the sweaty socks are thieves?
Is that the same country that won the Kirin Cup

The what?

< rummage around the net >

Oh yes played 2, won 1, drawn 1, so thay makes the sweaties joint second out of 3, the others being bulgaria and japan.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>joint second out of 3>>

What's more they won even though the match ended 0-0..:-)
St George's Cross flags - keo-the-dog
The same country that beat england in their first meeting after england won that match in 1966 Ancient History get over it we beat the rugby world champions as well ,can you honestly see them winning this one, I can't...cheers...Keo
The difference is your average scot (including me) knows we aren't much good at football but doesn't care, the avarage englishman thinks England are the world champion contenders despite any evidence for it in the last 40 years.
St George's Cross flags - piggy
The difference is your average scot (including me) knows we aren't
much good at football but doesn't care, the avarage englishman thinks
England are the world champion contenders despite any evidence for it
in the last 40 years.

>

In defence of my celtic cousins north of Hadrian`s Wall,Scotland has a population of only about 5 million.Compare this with England`s population of roughly 50 million and the odds of Scotland,or indeed any of the "celtic fringe" countries winning the World Cup are patently less than England`s.
St George's Cross flags - Dave E
>>What HAVE England won since 1966?<<

Something very much akin to the Kirin Cup in 1997, beating France, Brazil and some other make weight country in the process. In France as well.

St George's Cross flags - Tomo

"Er, what's a saltire when it's at home?"
A female haggis.
St George's Cross flags - Group B
Dont worry, they will only be flying during the qualifying group
stages......

Depends where you live mate. There are cars near us which I'm sure have still got the flags on from last time. One patriotic chap round the corner from our house put up not one but four 5 metre high 8x3 timber 'flagpoles' in his front garden with big St. George Cross flags on, and they stayed there for nearly a year...
Err

Thats the HQ of your local BNP party

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
St George's Cross flags - mrmender
Not where i live you won't
St George's Cross flags - v0n
It's all big corporate conspiracy of petrolium industry to get you burn more fuel. World Cup is like valentines day for greeting cards and catering business. ;)
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
conspiracy of petrolium industry>>

Business must be holding up well then in the four years between each World Cup....
St George's Cross flags - Big Bad Dave
I?ve got an England flag on my patio that I put up two years ago and I always, always, always wear an England t-shirt for work which probably explains why I?m about as popular as doggy doo among the people I work with and why they all go for lunch without me.

I won?t be attracting any attention to my car though, not in this country, my country or any other.
St George's Cross flags - Roly93
Isn't it technically illegal to fly this flag instead of the Union flag ?
Isn't it technically illegal to fly this flag instead of the Union flag ?>>

Only to some absurdly politically correct local council officials and similar jobsworths, many of whom also object to England being on the flag.

As Richard Littlejohn always says: "You couldn't make it up."
>>Isn't it technically illegal>>

This will answer questions about flying the flag...:-)

www.fotw.net/flags/gb-eng.html
would a car with the flags on the back windows pass an MOT?
St George's Cross flags - Sofa Spud
The England flag is known as a sub-national flag, as are the Scottish, Welsh, Bavarian or Breton ones.

Our National flag is the Union Jack (or Union Flag). Apparently planning permission is neccessary, technically, to fly sub-national flags from buildings but not the Union Jack, according to my flag book.
St George's Cross flags - mk124
My stereotype of a car with the english flag on it is an old banger with a non to pleasant chap behind the wheel. Am I wrong? I have to confess when I first saw all these flags I wondered why for about 2 weeks, then concluded it must be a football event, since what else could it be
St George's Cross flags - PoloGirl
I think they're a great indicator of social class, and helpfully let you know who to avoid when on the road as the driver is likely to be on the phone, lighting a cigarette and have about six children crammed into the back seat.

Apologies if that makes me a snob, but I can't be the only one to have noticed you only see these flags on clapped out Mondeos, cavaliers and Novas?

Have your flag in the garden, on the parcel shelf or wear your England shirt by all means, but don't do the skanky flag thing.
St George's Cross flags - Malcolm_L
I suspect that most of these flags would disappear quietly overnight if their 'patriotic' owners discovered that St.George was a Turkish bacon salesman who had a damn fine PR agent.
St George's Cross flags - Pugugly {P}
Not that I'd do it - but nothing wrong with reclaiming the flag from it's link with the unacceptable face of nationalism.
Straight into the even less acceptable face of
Chavtastic-ism? ;)

Give me a Chav anyday over a facist.
Sorry PU, I was being flippant. I just really *really* hate the flags!

St George's Cross flags - Adam {P}
I'd never have one on the car myself but only because I'm not very patriotic.

I really can't see the problem with other people doing it though. Some of our neighbours - the nicest family - young parents and two great lads who love the football have the flags on for these kind of things.

What's wrong with that?

Unfortunately the nice family next door are not the norm though - the flags, for me at least, come with all sorts of associations.... like burberry, saxos and shiny white trainers!
Not everyone has as good a taste as us though PG!
Hmmm... you drive a gold Focus and I'm soon to be a Skoda owner. Where did it all go wrong?!

Exactly! If only everyone was so cool.
Unfortunately the nice family next door are not the norm though>>

Not the case around here in the majority of cases.

Unfortunately the nice family next door are not the norm though>>

And you expected what in Basingstoke exactly?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
St George's Cross flags - AR-CoolC
I have to say that I don't really have any problem with people putting flags on their cars. What makes me laugh though is how early they are appearing. Looking out of my office window I can see 4 england flags on cars, they are starting to look tatty now, by the time the world cup starts they'll just be a few threads on a stick. lol.
St George's Cross flags - apm
Just another opportunity for the companies (whoever they are that make those flags) to make money out of people (bit like Easter, Mothers' day etc).

There does tend, as has been suggested, a certain class divide between flag owners and non-owners. I feel there would be a high correlation between, lets say, Sun readership and flag owning. And probably with smoking and buying food at McDonalds. Not a perfect correlation (there are always exceptions).

I don't have a flag (and won't be getting one), but I will advertise my support for the England team by driving a British built car throughout the whole world cup. And for the Ashes tour. And the test against Sri Lanka. And the rugby world cup next year. I will also wear my England cricket shirt. Partly because I do care, and partly because it confuses the football fans- they see an England badge on blue shirt with a vodaphone logo, not sure what to make of it?!

Just out of interest, do you reckon we have more chance of winning the Jules Rimet cup, or holding on to the Ashes??

I also have another theory, that has yet to be disproved (as far as I'm aware)- only one major English national sporting team can be doing well at any one time (thinking football, rugby, cricket). Any thoughts??

Alex.

--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
St George's Cross flags - Neiltoo
Without joining the debate about class, appropriateness etc, I think that the new flags started to appear last month--- maybe the twenty third--- maybe St Georges Day?
St George's Cross flags - Round The Bend
I'm wondering if we should have a separate thread "Best car seen sporting a St George Cross flag"?
_______
IanS
St George's Cross flags - A9er
From todays Glasgow Herald:

We are sent a Department for Transport press release which states:
"A new scheme has been devised in England to identify poor drivers. From May until the end of the World Cup, drivers who overtake in dangerous places; speed in residential areas; pull out without indicating; perform inappropriate U-turns in busy streets; and drive within an inch of the car in front; will be issued with St George Cross flags to clip on their door. Those with particularly poor skills will have to display a flag on each side of the car to indicate their low intelligence mindset to the general public."
It is true, isn't it?
I will advertise my support for the England team by driving
a British built car throughout the whole world cup.

Sure it will last the whole month without breaking down, Al?
*grin*

St George's Cross flags - stevied
Er... excuse me for butting in : )

A lot of very wealthy people smoke, both cigarettes and cigars!
I am not wealthy myself, but in my job I attend many upscale events and shows. Believe you me these people binge drink and smoke, they just don't get on the TV doing it!
PS It's the middle-classes who are tofu-eating gym-addicted calorie counters. The rich and the poor seemingly don't give a monkeys!
Damn right!
Minimum 20 Marlboro a day, and at least 6 pints! AND full-strength coffee with full-cream milk!
Why bother working hard if you can't enjoy the simple pleasures, hey?
Money's for spending - pass the fillet steak, egg and chips, I damn well earned it!

St George's Cross flags - Red Baron
Can anybody, including foreign nationals in the UK, stick their own countrys' flag on their car?!?!

Imagine, if England lose to team A, put a flag of Team A on someones car whom you dislike.
This might be even more useful than a flag if you are out and about on the roads during the World Cup:

tinyurl.com/h4377
Ian, I heartily agree, although I smoke Camel Lights these days... : )

As I said I am not rich, although rich enough I suppose!

(I wish).
St George's Cross flags - Lud
A lot of these flags showing in the metropolis. I am expecting one of my next door neighbours to put one on his balcony any day.

Correct me if I am wrong, but has the - world cup is it? - even started yet?

Harmless regalia, flags, for the most part. Add to the colour of life even when flown by uptight idiots.
Baron, throwing things off at a tangent, i know some South Africans who emigrated to the UK during the apartheid years, taking their motor cars with them.
One chap was very enterprising - kept the South African registration, BUT did not put a (ZA) sticker on the back of the car.
Was pulled in by Plod one day, and questioned as to WHY he did not have the international registration sticker, as requir3ed by law.
He claimed that his car had been vandalised by people before, when he had had the sticker saying he was from the 'Pariah' state, therefore he did not wish to 'advertise' where he came from.
Plod 'understood', and no action was taken.
I run the risk of possibly offending a few people on here but I don't wish to when I say - seriously - what does it matter? They're flags. What does it matter if they go to McDonalds (my saviour many a night at 2 minutes to midnight - severely underrated food), smoke (I'm quite partial to a nice Robusto on special occasions) or if St George was a fat, balding Turk?

It doesn't. They've paid their money for some rag on a stick, and it's not going to harm anyone is it? (Apart from their fuel economy)
I live in the surrey stockbroker belt, I dont smoke, I read the times, I drive a VW, I have just had two qtr pounders with cheese and a large fries on the way home, and I am going to put an england flag on my car.

Analyse That lot.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Do you have any tattoos?
Tattoos? Not yet, but my "mid life crisis" action plan has that down as one of the next steps. Not sure if it goes before or after the "have an affair" step. The pre requisite step for those two is of course "Buy a huge effoff in your face motorbike"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>a large fries on the way home>>

My motto is if you can't enjoy while you are here, it's too late afterwards...:-)

Also remember that the bloke who invented jogging died whilst out jogging - at a comparatively young age.

Just think of all the pints of Guinness, fish and chips, packets of Lambert and Butler Superkings etc he missed out on....:-(

St George's Cross flags - Waino
I recall driving in Ireland, passing through 'bandit territory' and seeing flags flying on the various estates we passed through. Ever since, I've developed an abhorrence of excessive flag-waving.
St George's Cross flags - madf
I think flag waving on cars should be encouraged.
As a non flag waver It gives me an easy to recognise method of recognising cars which may be driven dangerously and are therefore good to keep away from.

:-)
madf
St George's Cross flags - turbo11
How about St George's cross air freshener "cards" dangling from my rear view mirror(strictly only during the world cup).
The personal habits, sartorial style and other general regalia, bling, tattoos etc. of other drivers are matters of supreme indifference to me. I don't like the baseball cap much, but so what? I don't much like scowling or bad-tempered-looking individuals either, but in real life they often turn out to merely look like that, and actually to have sunny dispositions.

I have not noticed that cars flying flags are driven significantly worse than others.

Stop this cruel sniping at chavs!
St George's Cross flags - Red Baron
And just what scent would you put on it?

Dragons Lair
St George's Cross flags - drbe
Also remember that the bloke who invented jogging died whilst out
jogging - at a comparatively young age.
Just think of all the pints of Guinness, fish and chips,
packets of Lambert and Butler Superkings etc he missed out on....:-(
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Not that it's in my nature to contradict anyone Stuartli, but you are wrong. The person you are thinking of was a man called Jim Fixx (I think) his philosophy was that if you kept fit - perhaps by jogging - you COULD eat burgers and other junk food as much as you wanted, which was what he did.

He proved himself wrong.
>>Not that it's in my nature to contradict anyone Stuartli, but you are wrong. >>

I never knowingly write anything that is untrue...:-)

DIED. ARTHUR LYDIARD, 87, New Zealand track coach widely regarded as the inventor of jogging; of an apparent heart attack, while on a U.S. speaking tour; in Houston. Before the frequent marathon winner came up with his then-revolutionary concept?that long, slow, distance training, or "LSD," worked best to develop stamina for all kinds of running?the accepted regimen was a form of short sprinting called interval training. When Lydiard, who was initially dismissed by critics, was not invited to be a coach for his country's Olympic team at the 1960 Summer Games, he paid his own way to Rome, trained his runners outside official grounds, and brought home two medals. His philosophy is now considered the conventional wisdom.

Also:

tinyurl.com/qs475

www.mcsweeneys.net/2001/02/05everybody.html

Plenty more references...:-)
St George's Cross flags - LHM
Reminds me of when, several years ago, I was looking at country flags with my 4 year-old son (in his excellent Weetabix world atlas!).

After some thought he asked, "Daddy, why do we need flags"?

Sometimes it takes a child to ask the most telling questions...
St George's Cross flags - apm
Ian- you're right, I doubt the MG will survive that length of time without something breaking down/ falling off.

On the subject of flag ownership, smoking, macdonalds etc, I was just making the point that there would be a high correlation between such things, not that they are always related. I myself smoke small cigars, and eat the odd 1/4pounder (with cheese). But I read the Independent and would not have a flag on my car in a million years!

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Cheers,

Alex.

--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
St George's Cross flags - Big Bad Dave
I?m thinking of getting an Austin Powers union jack paintjob on the old 406 to go with my England shirts, my flags and my tattoos. Does that make me a chav?

You can bet I?ll be waving them on Saturday for the Eurovision Song Contest too as well as for the football. I love all that stuff.
St George's Cross flags - Round The Bend
I?m thinking of getting an Austin Powers union jack paintjob on the old 406 to go with my England shirts, my flags and my tattoos. Does that make me a chav?>>

No, but it may make your 406 a mini.
_______
IanS
St George's Cross flags - 007
I kid you not....I have seen on several occasions, an old large white Jaguar which has had a red stripe painted on it from bumper to bumper and another from nearside to offside!!

The car is in immaculate condition and I have to confess that I think it looks good.

I wonder whether the owner has informed Swansea about the change:D)
St George's Cross flags - mike hannon
Here in France I see you can buy stickers with a choice of national flags to put in the space normally occupied by the 'F' at the side of your number plate. They cost the equivalent of about eight quid!
Am I the only person alive who won't be watching the 'pink fluffy dice' world cup?
St George's Cross flags - tr7v8
No I & my wife won't either, what with World Cup or BB I might just leave the country!
I won't be watching much of it either, but we are probably in a minority.

I well remember a media junket at Tamanrasset, right in the middle of the Sahara in southern Algeria, not for the 'transsaharienne' desert race but for an Algerian Government thing, in 1978. A new hotel, more or less finished for the occasion, was filled with hacks, heavies and officials, most of whom spent most of the time glued to colour TVs watching the, you know, big international football knockout competition.
Minority of three at least. Too busy working and enjoying life.
St George's Cross flags - mss1tw

Few things are as boring as watching sport on the TV (With the exception of rallying).

I much prefer playing it, for some weird reason

[/sarcasm]
Luddites

(oh surry lud didnt see you there)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
St George's Cross flags - type's'
Just as a matter of interest are these flags manufactured such that they will never permanently distort window rubbers/seals ?
I can just imagine the kids in cars that had flages on complaining of wind whistling in through damaged seals in the winter time.

Blimey - Am I looking into this a bit too far - should I be worried that I get hung up on stuff like this ?
The flags dont last long enough to distort anything. About 5 miles at 80 mph is as much as they will stand.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Was followed down Elgin Ave tonight by a rapid silver black cab flying the flag... showed up well in the rearview mirror.

How long do they last at 40mph, TVM? Indefinitely is my guess. Let's hope he gets, or doesn't get, some airport jobs.
the end gets frayed and tatty at 40 mph

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
This one was new and spruce.