3500K to spend, any recommendations? - jeff porter

I need to buy a new car, I've got £3500 to spend.
Can anyone recommend what would be good?

I was looking to get a Renualt Laguna RT 2.0s, but
they don't seem to be rated by Honest John. What else
is there?

JP.
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Moosh
HJ is correct, big depreciation and below average reliability.
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Phil
97 model year mondeo
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - gandalf
97 Mondeo, ask if timimg belts AND tensioners have been replaced depending on miles run.
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - David Withers
3500K will buy you a fleet of Ferraris if you want. :-)
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Alex
David

£3500 will buy you a dam good 94 / 95 Volvo 850.

The 940 / 960 range is even better value.

My 2.3 injection 16 foot long Volvo Esate has WHIPS, SIPS, 10 CD multichanger, ABS, Power Lock Diff, elecric everthing and does an average of 30 MPG.

It will last forever, with a £99 NI plate it looks almaost new to the layman who does not know his Volvos {stopped making my model in '97}

This way you'll save the other £3,496,500 { £3,500K - £3,500} - see me if you need more help to spend it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Robert Evans
£3500 makes some of the latest models of the Carina E line-up within reach (N,P and R reg models), which offer tremendous reliability and longevity (my father's 95M Carina E has covered 101K from new and is still on the original exhaust, catalyst and brake pads and has never given any trouble). Also the Honda Accord of similar age would be within this price bracket and Nissan Primera. Really at this age I'd recommend Japanese. Although the parts are more expensive than Euro models, at this age they're likely to still be able to give a good few years trouble free motoring. Okay, so these cars are more like domestic appliances and are not really driver's cars, but who cares if they get you where you want to go every time, without a problem!!
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Faz
The Primera is a drivers car and is very affordable. Accords tend to be more expensive and are also excellent.
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - ALBERT
Any 2litre primera had two over ten years , compares well with A4 i have now
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - ALBERT
Sorry forgot to mention no timing belt to change or worry about its chain driven
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Mike Wolstencroft
£1850 - £2000 for a '90 or '91 Merc 190E Auto ( with good history, of course) + £1300 for a LPG conversion.
Result? Cheap spares ( Euro Car Parts), Cheap insurance, NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER, first class auto engineering ( unlike today's Mercs ), and fuel economy equiv. to 50mpg at today's inflated petrol prices. In five years time, or whenever it suits, transfer the LPG kit to another car and throw the Merc away!
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Steve G
If you go to a fleet auction there will plenty to choose from in this price bracket.Obviously milelages will be higher than average but there normally well maintained.
Personally i like the Laguna (2.0 RTi model 1998 on) good value at this sort of money. Primera is a good drivers car but looks dull. If can live with blandness the Vectra/Mondeo's probably a good choice if your looking for a newer car. Should bag yourself a 3 year old example for £3500.
My brother is selling his Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 for £ 3500 if your interested ?
(Blatant advertising,Slap Wrist !).
Another thought try the Great trade centre in London normally loads of cars in this price bracket and not far off auction prices. www.gtccar.co.uk
Re: 3500K to spend, any recommendations? - Simon Saxton

I would be sorely tempted by Mike Wolstencrofts MB 190E but make sure that you got an Auto. If it already had LPG, I would be most careful in checking history...and mileage!

regards
Simon