New Car for Aged Parents - Duchess
My parents are looking to replace my mum's somewhat elderly Audi A4. They don't have any particular cars in mind but a list of requirements to find the best match.

The biggest problem with the A4 is the low seating position. Although they are both reasonably fit and healthy, the low seats combined with the twisting movement to get out of the car is becoming increasingly difficult. So a car with a higher driving position is essential (they definitely don't want a proper 4x4 type vehicle).

The car must be automatic (mum hasn't driven a manual in over 25 years) and preferably diesel. It needs to have four doors for carrying passengers.

They also own a small Seat which is used for most of the short local journeys so the replacement would be mostly used for longer cross country trips (mostly A roads as my mum dislikes the speed of motorways and my dad dislikes being told he's going too fast at 65mph).

Purchase price is not a major issue but running costs in terms of tax, fuel consumption and servicing are. Neither have any interest in gadgets such as sat nav, cruise control, etc although air conditioning is a must.

I'm sure there will be more wants/needs over the next few months but from what they've come up with already, are there any suggestions where to start?

New Car for Aged Parents - Round The Bend
Could consider Renault Scenic or Modus. If the budget allows, the Merc A or B Class could be a possibility.
_______
IanS
New Car for Aged Parents - Happy Blue!
I'm not sure of Ford still do the engine/gearbox combo of diesel/auto in the Focus C-Max, but if they do, its the best car for your parents.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New Car for Aged Parents - Paul Robinson
I think it would be useful if you could identify if it's the low seats or the twisting movement that's really the difficulty. We have a new Micra, which has a noticeably higher seating position, to me seems very easy to get in and out of and regularly gets recommended for the elderly accordingly.

But MIL (aged 80) always prefers to be taken out in our Volvo S80 as she finds the leather seats much easier for that twisting movement!
New Car for Aged Parents - Bill Payer
Jazz auto could replace both the A4 and the Seat.
New Car for Aged Parents - daveyjp
Seat Altea ticks most of the boxes. High driving position and an auto diesel option available.
New Car for Aged Parents - Altea Ego
If you are elderly, you need something high with no stooping, and twisting into and outof the seat is easy.

HAs to be MPV in that case. Scenic, Picasso, C-Max, Touran,

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Car for Aged Parents - David Horn
Of course, a completely unbiased recommendation there from TVM! ;-)
In this case true tho. I have been mobility impaired after the bus incident so I know bout what I talk....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Car for Aged Parents - Armitage Shanks {p}
TVM - I hope this is only a temporary impairment?
It was only temporary. The ribs are now fixed.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Car for Aged Parents - stevied
My mother has osteoporosis and has similar requirements for her next car. She got a lift in a Merc A-class recently and said it suited her, but she lugs about loads of keyboards and stuff for her musical shennanigans, so the boot isn't big enough I don't think. I suggested an Altea, think she's going to have a look.

I've just had dodgy ribs, TVM. It's like wearing one of those age suits isn't it? I got a lift in an MR2 the other week and couldn't get in and out of it! I appreciate how my mother feels now...
New Car for Aged Parents - daveyjp
Don't consider a Merc if servicing costs are an issue - an A class service starts at nearly £300.
New Car for Aged Parents - artful dodger {P}
My parents (83 & 80) recently wanted to change their Honda Accord and finally opted for the new Civic.

Much of the advice they received from salesmen was to buy something smaller e.g. a Jazz, but the ride quality was not good enough for distance driving.

The car that came second was the Volvo V40 with the Toyota Corolla third.

They only picked the Civic up on Friday and having seen it I think it should be put on their list of possible choices. I must admit the folding of the rear seats is very clever, you can either fold them flat in one action or just lift the squab if you want to transport a plant for example.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
New car for aged parents - Falkirk Bairn
New Car for Aged Parents

Seems a good swap to me!!
New car for aged parents - SjB {P}
New Car for Aged Parents
Seems a good swap to me!!

Aww... Beat me to it!

Almost as good as "pass the salt and pepper, please" (Queue grimmacing expression and straining noises) ;-)
New Car for Aged Parents - Avant
Getting into my B-class is quite awkward: the seats are high but so is the floor. Very comfortable once you're in, though.

I think they should go to a Honda showroom first and try both Civic and Jazz. The Jazz can have CVT automatic - no diesel but the petrol engineis very economical. The Civic might do but they need to check that they could live with the appalling rear visibility. As you get older reversing is awkward enough anyway.

The C-Max is a good suggestion but for some reason I don't think they do an automatic with the 2.0 diesel: anything smaller would be sluggish. Toyota Verso and Renault Scenic - auto only available with petrol versions. These could all be possibles if they don't insist on a diesel: as they have another car maybe their mileage isn't all that high so that there's no financial reason to buy a diesel (though they may prefer them to drive).

As someone has suggested, leather seats might make the 'twisting movement' easier.

It could just be a matter of visiting sevaral dealers and trying various models for ease of entry and exit. They vary a lot.
New Car for Aged Parents - Hamsafar
Nissan Murano
New Car for Aged Parents - Smileyman
Mazda 2 has excellent front and rear seat access for elderly.