Price Guides (Parker's) - pullgees
Looking on the shelves I can only find price guides that start from 1997 models. I thought there was an older car price guide but can't find it, does it exist?
Price Guides (Parker's) - blue_haddock
There used to be but i think it was dropped quite a while ago. Best way to price an older car is to search autotrader and see what similar cars are making.
Price Guides (Parker's) - pullgees
Thanks I'll have a look in Autotrader.
Price Guides (Parker's) - Mutton Geoff
search autotrader and see what similar cars are making

Autotrader doesn't mention selling prices so always use a finger in the air to make a best guess of the actual selling prices, else use James Rupperts "Bangernomics" website as a guide to valuing even older cars.

Price Guides (Parker's) - bell boy
James Rupperts "Bangernomic??????????

you all bang on about this guru figure why? a s/h car is just that like anything else s/h only worth what someone is willing to give for it.
Autotrader can identify the car and the price it will attain by how far an area you ask it to search,it is absolutely superb for an oddball or someone who doesnt know nowt about cars.
Put THE MAKE AND MODEL in the box and under price leave it blank for minimum and put whatever figure you want for the maximum.
If it cant find a search of a similar car/spec to the one you want to value you are doing something wrong.
Price Guides (Parker's) - Mutton Geoff
Oldman, in my experience people selling a 10 year old car have a grossly inflated opinion of it's true value. A local dealer will have built a large margin in and private sellers who think their car is on a par with said retail equivalent.

Motor cars have become a disposable commodity in the last 20 years, you can no longer hold them together with a regular decoke and head gasket job. The problem is many buyers are to embarrassed to offer £1k for something advertised at £2k despite the seller having no other calls and desperate to collect cash. Depending on the vehicle, Autotrader has such a wide range of prices on similar 10 year old cars, if you set a max price in the search engine, you'll miss all the chancers where the real bargains may lie.

Ruppert is not a guru, he's just speaking sense where most sellers of old cars get inflated opinions about their value just because it cost £10-20k on a forecourt a decade ago.

Price Guides (Parker's) - local yokel
While it's just another source of info, and not infallible, use the advanced search function on Ebay. Advanced search allows you to search only completed sales. There will be lots of pre-97 cars selling in the next couple of weeks, as this w/e Ebay is offering free auto listings.

There is some evidence that Ebay car sales can get a bit carried away and some HJ contributors have been surprised at the figures achieved. However it's an open marketplace, so the figures are relevant.
Price Guides (Parker's) - Tornadorot
Looking on the shelves I can only find price guides that
start from 1997 models. I thought there was an older
car price guide but can't find it, does it exist?

The Parker's website has an "older cars" section going back to 1989, but you have to pay for access. I was under the impression they also did a separate magazine for older cars, but they don't seem to (any more).