VW Golf Mk3 GTI 96 power problem - stef1244
Hi:

I have had a lot of running problems with this car but I have now ran out of ideas!!. The car was running really poor and I have now completed the following: Service including new plugs/leads. New crank shaft sensor. New exhust complete including cat. Timming checked and all comprestion test which came back ok.

Although the car is running a lot better than it was, I still have a lack of power. This is worse in 1st and 2nd gears. I also have a certain amount of juddering/missing only slightly now and again.

Has anyone any idea what I try next? I keep chasing the error but not getting very far!

Many Thanks
Stef
VW Golf Mk3 GTI 96 power problem - George Porge
You've spent a lot of money, have you had it code read?
Hi:

You are right I have spent a lot of money!

To answer to your question is I have not had it code read. Would I have to go to a main dealer for that? and what would that tell me?

Excuse my ignorence!

Re

Thanks
Stef
Many independants have VAGcom and can read it for you. You may have to have it read twice, make a note of any faults, reset and drive the car before a second code read. The reason for this is that the car may have ghost faults stored because of all the work you have carried out. Where in the country are you? Someone may be able to recommend someone to read it for you.
Hi:

Thanks for that.

I live in Leicester. Do you think that the problem could be electrical? If so once you have the code, what happens then, can they reset certain problems?

Cheers
Stef
VW Golf Mk3 GTI 96 power problem - mark25
How does it run on light/full throttle, cold/warm?

Has it had a fuel filter recently?

It might be worth measuring the resistance of the temp probe on the front of the head water outlet. It may also be worth seeing what lambda reading the exhaust gives also check the coil for cracks.

Hi:

It runs ok on light throttle but as soon as you stick your foot down it just does not do it! It appears to be more responsive when its cold,

If you press the throttle to the floor when in neutral it will rev away at about6000 revs, but it will not go in the red. I appreciate that it is supposed to cut back once and if you reach the red, but I cannot even get it there!!

Regards
Stef

VW Golf Mk3 GTI 96 power problem - Peter D
Have the codes read and the fuel pressure measured. Without doing these two things you will have trouble finding the fault. Regards Peter
VW Golf Mk3 GTI 96 power problem - mark25
it may be worth checking the teperature sensor then, it may also be worth checking all the cam/intermediate shaft/crank timing marks are ok. There's an array of different cambelt timing markings used on the mk3's, which can easily lead to confusuion.
www.candrenterprises.co.uk/

Not to far from you (Nottingham) and Steve knows his stuff.