Darling to Visit Toyota Factory - Red Baron
And why should he not visit? Nobody in their right mind would visit a dead horse. In this day and age, if a manufacturer such as Vauxhall and Peugeot have even voiced the possibility of plants or jobs to go, there is nothing that government can do about it. Government had enough practice with British Leyland to demonstrate why they should not run manufacturing.

Both Peugeot and GM have problems of their own making whereas Toyota and others have clearly demonstrated as to how it could be done!

The fact that Darling is getting a preview of a new version of the Avensis is in this case irrelevant. The car, IMHO, is not attractive to look at, at all.

The poor chap, but that is his job, will get collared about the other redundancies and will have to pay lip service. He won't be able to change anything. The people who will/may lose their jobs should get a life and move on rather than go on strike.
Darling to Visit Toyota Factory - Aprilia
The people
who will/may lose their jobs should get a life and move
on rather than go on strike.

I'm sure the reason they are going on stike is to maintain some media attention and perhaps embarrass PSA a little (I noted a recent ad for the Picasso - "Britain's favour MPV" apparently).

I'm sure they'll all move on and get new jobs. I hear B&Q in Balsall Heath are looking for two 'greeters' - plenty of jobs out there ('skill shortage' etc etc).
Darling to Visit Toyota Factory - Stuartli
The Picasso is the UK's best selling MPV - they are absolutely everywhere.

I've been round Toyota's plant (and those of Honda, Nissan and Peugeot amongst otherrs) and the Japanese plants in particular are models of excellent efficiency, cleanliness and apparent workers' satisfaction.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Darling to Visit Toyota Factory - Aprilia
Yes, I've been around plenty of plants in my time, inc. Japanese plants in Japan. I once had to use the toilets at Longbridge - seeing the state they were in helped develop my understanding of why the workforce there were so grumpy!