Focus - Air-con MPG ? - aden
I have a Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi late 2002 and wonder if using the Air Con has any effect on MPG. Guys I've spoken to seem to have a mixed view. Anyone know the correct answer ?
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - Dave N
Try it and see, then you will know for sure. Much better than relying on hearsay.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - jc2
It will have a small effect;it takes some power to drive the air-con compressor and the smaller the engine,the bigger the effect.I can feel a drop in performance on my 1.8.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - Dynamic Dave
You'll use more fuel with the windows open (changes the aerodynamics of the car) than by using the AC to keep cool.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - Waino
In SWMBO's 1.6 Focus, the aircon definitely holds the engine back when, say, taking off from a junction. Unless you have enough revs on, it's as though you are in too high a gear.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - Hamsafar
Aircon takes 2-5 horse power.
So that is a proportion of how much horse power the car is using at any given time. To maintain a cruise speed, probably only 20 or something?

Also, the compressor cycles on and off, it doesn't run continuously or the evaporator would become encased in a block of ice.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - Ian D
You probably lose 1 or 2 mpg, insignificant really, you can regain 1 or 2 mpg by just being slightly more gentle on the gas.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - L'escargot
I have a Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi late 2002 and wonder
if using the Air Con has any effect on MPG. Guys
I've spoken to seem to have a mixed view. Anyone know
the correct answer ?

Anything that consumes power, electrical or otherwise, will increase the amount of fuel used. You don't get owt for nowt.
--
L\'escargot.
Focus - Air-con MPG ? - Carse
You will use significantly more by carrying a passenger or two but I am sure that does not keep you up at night. Just use the aircon and be comfortable.

Carse.