Parking Ticket Help Please! - Ian79
I would like some advice on parking tickets please. Today I parked up at my local gym, paid the 40p at the ticket machine but didn't get a complete ticket (just a fragment of a headed slip); the ticket machine then seemed to 'go to sleep'. I informed the receptionist at the local authority gym and placed a notice on my dashboard stating the time of parking and that the machine was not working. Surprise, surprise I have an "Excess Charge Notice (Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984)" and a £50 fine.

The 'notice' even states that I left a note and the parking attendants asked the receptionist who confirmed what I reported; the attendant states on the notice that the machine was checked and was working ok (about 2 minutes after I parked).

Can anyone offer any practical advice on appealing please? There is no information on appeals of any kind on the notice. Thank you all in advance!
Parking Ticket Help Please! - Zippy123
www.bwmaonline.com/Legal%20-%20New%20doubts%20-%20...m
Parking Ticket Help Please! - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.parking-appeals.gov.uk/IveReceived/challengePC...p

Parking Ticket Help Please! - Hamsafar
****Helpful suggestions please - not illegal ones*****

Hugo - BR Moderator
Parking Ticket Help Please! - Bromptonaut
OP mentions the words Excess Charge and the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, so suspect it's not appealable to an adjudicator under the de-criminalised enforcement procedure. Defended cases probably go to the magistrates; in circs if fee was paid I'd stick to my guns.
Parking Ticket Help Please! - Dwight Van Driver
You will need to ascertain who is operating the parking area i.e. off street parking of local authority or the Baths themselves. By the sound of it does not come within the remit of the criminal law/Mags Court where you have a better means of resolving.

Whoever owns the land will no doubt have farmed enforcement out to a Parking Contractor and boy are these people mean. If it is UK PAO they take no prisoners.

If you do not pay then they keep upping the penalty and which if not paid you will be threatened with County Court action to claim the debt.

Now is the time to collect all your evidence for that fateful day if it arrives. Make sure you have the full personal details of the attendant at the baths you spoke to.

In the meantime there should be some information on the Penalty Notice received about appealing but if it is one of the Cowboy outfits there won't be.

You can try writing to the sender of the Notice with the facts you outline.

dvd
Parking Ticket Help Please! - Pootle
First off, find out who operates the parking; this should be on your parking ticket, along with an outline of their complaints procedure and contact details. Formulate your argument, write your letter (include the outcome you expect to receive - i.e. charges waived), make a duplicate of it and also the mis-printed ticket you got from the machine. Include this along with your letter, making reference to this in your letter. Stick to fact in your letter, raise the question, explain that you have acted logically and actually gone out of your way to make it clear that you had paid and that it was their equipment at fault (as you say you made a note to explain this).

I have recently overturned a parking ticket when I parked in an on-street car park that was closed (but wasn't made clear this was the case by signage). If you present a concise, logical argument, backed up with facts and evidence, they should have little option but to reconsider their decision.

It's worth a try - don't get hung up on worrying about charges escalating/court cases, but make sure you know the terms of payment, due dates for payment etc. Mine was with Nottingham City Council; the ticket was £30, rising to £60 if it wasn't paid within a certain time. They gave a timeframe to challenge the ticket, if they received a written challenge within this timeframe, they didn't raise it to £60 if the dispute continued past the intital 'discount' timescale. This was just in my case, so it pays to check it out.

Hope this helps

Pootle
Parking Ticket Help Please! - Fullchat
I would advise against sending the original ticket. Send a photocopy. If they conviniently 'loose' the original you will loose your best evidence.
--
Fullchat