petrol in a diesel astra engine - highlander45
I have just put 7 litres of petrol in the tank of my new model Vauxhall Astra. The tank was half full of disel and I then topped it up with diesel and drove two miles home thinking I would siphon the tank.

It doesn't appear possible to siphon the tank so I guess it's an expensive garage job tomorrow.

Anyone had experience of this??.
petrol in a diesel engine - Altea Ego
7 Litres mixed in with how much? 60 litres?

forget it happened and get on with your life.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
petrol in a diesel engine - bbroomlea{P}
If its commonrail diesel which I would assume it is then it is touch and go as to whether you would get away with it as the injectors/pump work under very high pressure and require lubricants from diesel not found in petrol.

If its direct injection and older technology then you would more than likely be ok as long as its not any more than 10% of the total amount in the tank. Lots of taxi drivers and farmers use a petrol/diesel mix in older diesels to give them a good clean out as petrol acts as a detergent.

TBH its probably not worth risking the manufacturers warranty if the car is new and common rail technology.

petrol in a diesel engine - slowdown avenue
sorry to hear that, was it bp or shell. ive done it twice.1.3 CORSA , best to get it drain immediatly. if not keep filling with top grade diesel, and add additives, and hope for the best.
petrol in a diesel engine - Hamsafar
The petrol has less 'body' than diesel (drier if you like)
With less than 10%, if it was mine, I'd just keep topping up with good diesel such as Shell Extra. I'd also look for a diesel additive that says it improves lubricity.
petrol in a diesel engine - adverse camber
Agree.

I would be concerned that if I took the car to the dealer then you might get any future warranty claim on the fuel system refused.

You have already driven it with petrol in it.

If you are certain that you want to drain it, get a mobile guy out, it should be cheaper and there will be no record at the dealer.

I would go with the top up and additive.
petrol in a diesel engine - Armitage Shanks {p}
I did exactly this 18 months ago. Unfamiliar garage, 6 litres of unleaded in a diesel, Oh pink fluffy dice, topped off with diesel, double dosed it with Miller's Diesel Plus and 15K miles later still no problems. In the circumstances you describe I would use some additive for a while amd keep your fingers crossed - I think you'll be OK.
petrol in a diesel engine - Martin1981
7 litres of petrol in a diesel isn't really a lot in all honesty, especially if you've filled the tank right to the top with another 50 litres or so of diesel. If you put, say 15 litres of petrol in then it may be a different story. My advice is to keep driving and keep topping up with diesel as the fuel level decreases. That would further dilute the petrol.

Martin
petrol in a diesel engine - highlander45
Thanks for all the advice guys. To be safe I decided to have the tank drained and the system flushed.

The total cost including 50 litres of fuel was £260.00

An expensive aberration.
petrol in a diesel engine - bell boy
and new diesel filter yes?
petrol in a diesel engine - Collos25
Waste of money will do absolutely no harm whats so ever in such small quantities,you will not even notice any difference.
petrol in a diesel engine - smokescreen
Yet more evidence that we need a different shaped nozzle for Diesel, such as a triangle.

That way the person filling up the car wouldnt mindlessly drop the fuel nozzle straight into his/her filling point without noticing its not actually fitting, making them look at the fuel type they've selected and hopefully realise the problem.

Ofcourse with garages charging £200+ each time, I dont see this happening in a hurry.
petrol in a diesel engine - smokescreen
Oh and to state the blatant obvious, changing all the old cars too.