heated windscreens - chris
Having just got a second Mondeo in the family, I find driving it especially at night awful because of the heated screen. I could replace the screen with an old non heated one, but am I the only person to find this a problem? It makes the odd scratch on windscreens appear to be a minor problem as these elements are over the entire surface.
Re: heated windscreens - BigAl
I was 'aware' of the fine wires in the screen when I first owned a Mondeo, but soon got used to it. Mmmm... or on second thoughts, had I wrongly assumed my eyes are getting worse with age?
Thanks to global warming (that'll get someone going!), I don't need to use it very often - but when I do, it's very handy indeed.
Re: heated windscreens - Tom Shaw
I had a Fiesta for a little while last year, and while the heated screen did not bother me my wife hated it even when she was a passenger. She claimed it made her go cross-eyed, something to do with wearing glasses, perhaps?
Re: heated windscreens - j.cronin
As a passenger,she was focusing her eyes on it,as a driver your eyes should be focused much further up the road and you should not see the elements.
Re: heated windscreens - timmy
Yeah know what you mean - if you notice it then you focus on the filaments in the screen - focus beyond that and it's no longer an issue.
Drive faster and you will HAVE to look ahead.
Re: heated windscreens - Andy P
I'd like to see plod's reaction to that....Soory, gov, I have to drive fast or I go cross-eyed looking at my heated windscreen....

Andy
Re: heated windscreens - Charles
You can minimise the effect by making sure the inside of the screen is kept as clean as possible. I have found this helps.
Re: heated windscreens - John S
Chris

I've mentioned this several times,and got blank looks, so I thought it was just me!

I've driven a few Mondeos on rent, and I've always found the heated screen particularly annoying at night.

To me the effect of the small reflections from the wires is to make it look like it has a slightly greasy film on it and I'm permanently tempted to give it a quick wash and wipe.

Whether I'd get used to it if I had one permanently I don't know, but I do find it off-putting.

regards

john
Re: heated windscreens - Hew
the only time i've ever had problems with a ford screen was when i had (without realising) glasses that were too weak a prescription. the fact my eyes tended to pick out the elements a bit easily, made me wonder. with new glasses, etc, the problem vanished, so perhaps a new set of glasses is the way forward?
Re: heated windscreens - PDP
I bet polarising sunglasses would make this even worse
Re: heated windscreens - Derek
I used the heated screen a couplke of times on my old Mondeo but, though effective, it wasn't worth putting up with the 'halo' effect at night. Like the heated element on rear windows, it also caused the inside of window to quickly become coated with a layer of film. Present car simply has an airflow booster for the windscreen, which works well enough.
Re: heated windscreens - chris
Thanks for the feedback, at least I now know I'm not the only one who has a problem with them. As a matter of interest I need glasses for distance but not close vision and the prescription is ok - only a couple of months old. Meanwhile I will have to be content driving the old one, her indoors isn't complaining about using the newer car!
Re: heated windscreens - Simon Ridgers
Its a problem to start with but you soon get used to it and I'd completely forgotton the problem existed!

Wouldn't be without a heated front screen - if you park your car outside, it is fantastic on a cold morning. However, it only seems to be Ford who use them, and it charges extra cash on the new Jag X Type.
Re: heated windscreens - Colin
I have been driving a Mondeo with one of these heated windscreens for a year now without to much trouble. If you have not got one the next best thing is to get your missus out to clear the windscreen before you go to work.