Small Car Choice - nick1975
Just bought a new house, its old and has a small garage

Need to change my cars, so one can fit in the garage

I am thinking about a c1/107/toyota one or a panda

Anything else worth considering?

Gut feel is the panda, but then which one? 1.1 or 1.2

And then used or new, on AT they start at £4k for a 2004 1.1, but you can get this brand new via "drive the deal" for £5.8

Any advice welcome
Small Car Choice - Hugo {P}
Only that Fiat are facing some difficulty. IIRC they were tipped as the next manufacturer to go under.

H
Small Car Choice - Happy Blue!
Kia Picanto. Hyundai Atoz. Daihatsu Charade. Daewoo(Chevy) Matiz.

All small, reliable, five doors and inexpensive. Of the ones you suggested, believe that the Panda is the best drive.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Small Car Choice - local yokel
Would a Yaris fit?
Just nipped outside - the garage is 2.3m wide and 5m long

Currently we have a BMW 318 (142bhp) and a Focus Estate 1.6 zetec

Both are great cars (the focus is amazing cosidering how much they cost)

Will sell the BM, sadly, as a general downsizing excercise

I think a yaris would fit, i wil have a look at them, I they are quite expensive though (but worth it?)
Small Car Choice - Happy Blue!
If the Yaris would fit, why not a Honda Jazz or Mitsu Colt?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I like them both but I guess its also a case of making the 2nd car as cheap a possible (but not too old), both purchase price an mpg, insurance etc

Small Car Choice - type's'
I would still opt for the Jazz myself - it seems to win every motoring accolade going for its class. Car magazine stated the car was better built than some cars 10 X the price (I bet that generates some reaction). So even with a bit more mileage than say a yaris it should be the better car IMO. I always wish I had bought SWMBO one instead of the Corolla (not that there is anything wrong with the Corolla).
yeah, I get the feeling you would have to be quite perverse to get it badly wrong here

any of these cars would be good for what i need

of course the jazz is king of the castle, but 6k gets you a 2002 model, verses a brand new panda... for me its a tricky one
Interesting developement - just had a look at Drive the Deal, they now have special offer pre registered panda 1.1 active for £4,975 - with 6 months tax

seems like a bargain

Small Car Choice - carl_a
New Colt at 6k new wins every time and more space up front that any other car in class.
yep I think you are correct - where can i get one?
yep I think you are correct - where can i get
one?

Oakley Mitsubishi Near Darlington

Harratts Mitsubishi - Barnsley

Motorpoint Derby also have them at £6195 and several other dealers at £6695
Small Car Choice - ziggy
New Colt at 6k new wins every time and more space
up front that any other car in class.

Only if you need that space above your head. Why are small cars getting so much taller..? Not as if you are going to fit some shelves in the free space... OK there is some ergonomic advantage for some people

Recently I refused a Colt as a hire car & was offered Astra Estate as they had no other small cars.. that will do nicely..!
Only if you need that space above your head. Why
are small cars getting so much taller..? Not as if
you are going to fit some shelves in the free space...
OK there is some ergonomic advantage for some people
Recently I refused a Colt as a hire car & was
offered Astra Estate as they had no other small cars.. that
will do nicely..!

More leg room in a Colt 3dr than an Astra, at 6"5 I tend to notice these things! If you read HJ's review there are comments about this.

The room in the front does reduce the rear space, for an overall package the Jazz is better but far more expensive and doesn't offer the same driver room as a Colt.
Small Car Choice - machika
As my wife is the prospective owner of a Swift, I find it odd that it has no backers here. For me, it is a much more satisfying car than a Colt, although I would agree it has less legroom in the back.
Small Car Choice - machika
Only if you need that space above your head. Why
are small cars getting so much taller..? Not as if
you are going to fit some shelves in the free space...
OK there is some ergonomic advantage for some people

There is some advantage for taller people too. Much better to have that headroom, than have your head in contact with the roof, as I found when sitting in the back of a Fabia the other day.
I think that says it all.
Depreciation already consumed and still holding its value.
Honda do not need to resort to selling cheaply because its the best small car out there.
Enough said IMO
apologies - my message above was in response to nick1975 response on the Jazz
Small Car Choice - Peter D
Part with the beamer !! change the garage it'll be cheaper. Regards Peter
Small Car Choice - Aprilia
For a small car I would go for any of the Far Eastern brands. Its a case of choosing what you like the look of - I don't think there are massive differences between. As said, the Jazz is a nice car, but I feel its too expensive and Honda parts/servicing could give you a nasty shock on a 2002 model. You also have to like the 'one box' styling, which I'm not personally keen on.
Hyundai Getz is OK and has a 5-year-warranty. Yaris, Swift, Picanto etc etc would all be satisfactory too, I'm sure. Best to tour a few dealers and see what you like the look of - a lot depends on how much use the rear seats will get..
Small Car Choice - daveyjp
A cost concious motorist would always consider a Ford, always plenty of deals around and they are cheap to insure and service.
Small Car Choice - alex

"Only that Fiat is facing some difficulty ..."

Perhaps a revision is in order seeing as the firm reported Euros 323 million of profit in the first quarter of 2006 (up by Euros 276 million on the same period last year).

In fact the Polish plant is Fiat's success story with a big demand for the Panda across Europe. I can't see it failing seeing as it will be making the new Ford Ka / Fiat 500 under a joint venture in a couple of years time.
Small Car Choice - Bill Payer
One thought if garage space is tight - be careful if you're considering a 2/3 door car.
Sometimes the doors are significantly longer than on 4/5 door versions, so can make entry/exit in tight spaces more awkward.
Small Car Choice - madf
Yaris diesel.
Road tax £50
62mpg
Buy a good one for under £7k.
Servicing cheap (10k service £95)
madf
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't wait to see my wife's face when her BM turns into a Daihatsu Charade or even better a Daewoo Matiz. Anyone know any good divorce lawyers...........
Small Car Choice - PandaFan
Well, I think that your initial idea of a Panda is an excellent one. I've had mine for over two years, and 24000 miles, and I still love it. Great to drive, low insurance, high mpg - and it will fit in the garage! I'd recommend the 1.2 over the Active (I did a LOT of research before and since buying!). And the SkyDome is fantastic.
That?s good reassurance, I guess I like the Panda over and above some anonymous box on wheels, it has that cheeky personality, and if I am able to indulge my (wife's) vanity without a serious financial misdemeanour then so be it

Not definately going to buy tomorrow but its at the top of the list

One thing I didn't mention before was that in my garage are some storage units which reduce the overall length from 5m to 3.8m.

With Turins finest I dont have to remove them, which is another bonus

Although a 6k Colt still sounds mega, however I looked at the suggested dealers and its not available at that price

>>Although a 6k Colt still sounds mega, however I looked at the suggested dealers and its not available at that price

Is it not Nick ? Funny that because I listened to my own advice and bought one on Friday.

Picking it up from Barnsley on the 16th May, I didn't pay £5995 though, I payed £6050 and had 12 months tax instead of the 6 months and the official colt mats.

Only one thing troubles me, my local dealer didn't give me the free chocolates when I test drove it !
Thats superb - I will call them and ask, their website says £7.5 and even 2nd hand they are £6k

But if you got that deal, then its outstanding

I am happy to make a call if I save £1.5k

Only problem is I have to rip out the storage units!
Web site that I look at says £5995
www.onedealer.co.uk/newoffers/colt.htm

Tel: 01226 380766 and speak to the salesman called Euan, he was very helpful and we got to the deal straight away. Tel him Carl who bought one last Friday recommended you !
Small Car Choice - AlanGowdy
>>Although a 6k Colt still sounds mega, however I looked at
the suggested dealers and its not available at that price
Is it not Nick ? Funny that because I listened to
my own advice and bought one on Friday.
Picking it up from Barnsley on the 16th May, I didn't
pay £5995 though, I payed £6050 and had 12 months tax
instead of the 6 months and the official colt mats.
Only one thing troubles me, my local dealer didn't give me
the free chocolates when I test drove it !

I got one of those Colts as a loan car a while back - very impressed. The odd polypropylene ribbed gearstick surround looks custom-made to collect gunge, crumbs and fluff though. Yes, silly I know but it would irritate me as an owner. Still, as I said, very impressed.
Small Car Choice - Manatee
Not sure what a good price is now, but fiatsupasaver.com is advertising the 1.2 Dynamic for £5,700. They have 'old' Puntos even cheaper. I bought from them last year - only had 6 months tax but still the best deal at the time.