How much should I do? - Rudedog
I'm about a week away from part-exchanging my car at the main dealers for a new car, apart from removing all my tat from the car should I go to to trouble of washing it and cleaning it inside? It's an 8 year old car and definately won't be sold at the main dealers.
How much should I do? - cheddar
It should be presentable, a quick hoover and wash over, afterall you expect the car you are picking up to be 100%, the least you can do is make a little effort on the one you are delivering.
How much should I do? - Xileno {P}
If the deal has been done I wouldn't bother. Dealer will send the car straight to auction. You've paid for him to clean your new car, your time is your own.
How much should I do? - mare
Agree, if you've done the deal already, do nothing other remove your rubbish, and put back any loose bits that aren't in the car (I have somewhere two Octavia rear headrests in my loft...). Check the seats for loose coins though! And don't forget that tape / CD in the stereo...
How much should I do? - Rudedog
Yes the deal has been done, the salesperson only looked at the mileage didn't even ask me about the cars history or walk around the car!
How much should I do? - Xileno {P}
He won't be trading it so he's not concerned about those issues. He will most likely send it straight to the auction, as long as he doesn't lose on it he will be happy. An 8 year old car is worth very little in the trade unless it's something highly desirable and sought after.
How much should I do? - ziggy
It should be presentable, a quick hoover and wash over, afterall
you expect the car you are picking up to be 100%,

Well you'd think so....

You'd also think they would be recently serviced and checked over, but this frequently turns out to be over optimistic.

Long time ago I opened the bonnet of car on the forecourt and found the coolant was completely empty... some dealers cannot be bothered to do some of the most basic things.

How much should I do? - blue_haddock
don't bother doing anything - it will be taken straight to the compound until they have enough vehicles to organise a transporter to the auction.
How much should I do? - type's'
Personally I would do nothing and in the past have done nothing when trading cars px.
I believe that any work the dealer needs to do to move it on has already been considered in the px price he has offered you.
I once asked a dealer if he had found my sunglasses in the car a day after I traded it in. He checked but did tell me it was standard practice to give the car immediately to the valeters and they would just empty the car and throw anything in the bin. Although I bet there is a valeter out there with my oakleys on.