Short Bus Lanes in rush hour - daveyjp
What a waste of time! I had reason to use the A650 to Bingley last night there is a bus lane between two sets of lights, no more than 150m in length. At the second lights there are two lanes, one straight ahead, one to turn right. The bus lane ends two car lengths before the lights to allow cars which aren't turning right to move across to the left lane. What actually happens is the cars queue in the bus lane for it's entire length and the bus ends up using the right hand lane to make prgress where as there is no traffic. I also used the right hand lane as I didn't want to risk a ticket for being in a bus lane, but moving from the right hand lane back to the left involves pushing in to the front of the queuing traffic. By driving legally you effectively put yourself in a position of being the target of someone who has waited patiently, albeit illegally in a queue of traffic. The car in front of me in the right hand lane (but wanting to go straight ahead) was also timid about acting legally and the female driver stopped for a while to consider the conundrum this crazy road layout puts drivers in.
Short Bus Lanes in rush hour - boxsterboy
It all makes perfect sense to me.

So long as you realise that the government doesn't really want you to drive on the road.
Short Bus Lanes in rush hour - Snakey
Exactly.

Bus lanes are created 50% to allow buses freedom through traffic and 50% to frustrate drivers and justify the 'new' congestion charge in that area ;-)
Short Bus Lanes in rush hour - Adam {P}
On a longish stretch of 40mph dual carriageway in my home town, they've put a bus lane in the entire stretch running from 7am - 7pm.

Fine you may think. Trouble is, there's only one bus an hour.

Compare it to the town I live in now - right through the town centre there are bus lanes but sensibly the times are something like 7:30am to 9:30 am and 16:30 to 18:00.

Makes much more sense.