charisma gdi 1.8 fuel injection - zippy1006
Now ive heard that this will work but thought id run past you guys to see if its safe to do.
To clear my rough idling problem (due to carbon build up) if i disconnect the pipe from the air box to the throtle body after the mass air flow sensor and spray some carb/injector spray down there at a medium to highish revs range will that clear most of the build up or at least the butterfly valve in the throttle body.
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
THANKS!
charisma gdi 1.8 fuel injection - Aprilia
See your Mitsi dealer. They have a special solvent for this. I have posted the P/N in the past, so if you do a search over the last few months you may find it.
Ordinary carb cleaner wont' work - the carbon is as hard as iron.
so what do you think just run it through until it settles or do it a couple of times over a period of times to soften it up or is that stuff really powerful enough to do it in a oner.
thanks fella!
you'll probably see the smoke
Here, I just found my old post for you:

"GDi injects petrol straight into the cylinder. To get good economy they use up to 48% EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). Hot gas flows into inlet manifold where it meets oil mist coming from the crankcase venting systems (via PCV valve). The result is that the oil mist carbonises on the intake manifold and valves - rock hard stuff.
THis can be reomved by taking off inlet manifold and blasting it (and back of valves) clean with crushed walnut shell abrasive. Dealer also use some solution called 'Shuma' (I think??) that helps dissolve the carbon. Takes a couple of hours to do the job. Volvos suffer just the same.

In bad cases the throttle body also gets carboned up.

Mitsu (UK) reckon you should only use Shell Helix fully synth oil and 97+ octane petrol. Also use Mitsu injector cleaner additive (Part no. MZ380226 - I just looked it up for you!).

Better still, don't buy direct injection petrol engines. As usual, stick with the tried and tested if spending your own money."
thanks very much for the advice. hope it works.
thanks again!
Having now taken off the throttle housing and given it a damn good clean(it was minging) the car seems to have settled back to a steady idle range however i need to adjust the idle as it is running at just over 1000rpm. Any ideas on how to adjust this. The only adjustment i can see is the screw on the top of the tps.
THANKS!
Try to avoid twiddling any screws!

First of all ensure that there are no air leaks (check all pipes and gaskets very thoroughly). Then disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and then start the engine and run it for a bit with no loads (no A/C, no lights etc).
Right that all seems fine to be honest. However no difference still idling at 1000-1200rpm. We think that rather than fix the problem before the last owner just adjusted the idle to compensate for the loss of revs.