The £5k Car Wash - Dave E
Todays Mail reports Rod Stewart and the "Super Rich" pay up to £7k for a car wash. The mind boggles at the thought.

I would be willing to bet there would be little difference in the result I achieved on Mrs E's MX5 the other week. Plenty of warm suds followed by 2 step Autoglym polish and the paintwork looked like it was still wet. All for less than 20 quid.

Although I am sure there are residents of this site who may suggest otherwise.

The £5k Car Wash - lordy
I tend to agree with you Dave. I think there is a bit of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' about it all. Like with so many other things in society today.

I was reading somewhere about one of these special waxes he uses, collected by hand from the ears of a particular species of bee. In Brazil. Who apparently sit around their hives all day reciting poetry (in Latin) and playing the flute. Then applied to the car bodywork with the bare hands, needed for the special chemical reaction between the wax and the oils in the fingers to take place.

Sounds like something collected from the backsides of male cows freely throughout the countryside to me.

--
let me be the last to let you down....
The £5k Car Wash - Altea Ego
Err

I saw a report on the man who does the £5k car wash. Its a bit more than your average tesco job. Its used by dealers of exotica to bring the car back to pristine (sometimes better)than showroom condition pre resale. It even incldes a check to see how deep the paint is before doing any suface cutting.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The £5k Car Wash - mss1tw
Nowt wrong wi' sponge and bit o' Turtlewax.
The £5k Car Wash - tr7v8
Yup quite agree for a start it takes 8-9 hours, these guys level of anal detail is far beyond anything the average car owner would think of. Some even have brand new cars prepped by these guys after the dealers have finished. We have Porsche owners who're thoruogh but this is far in excess of this & it's not just the materials they use.
The £5k Car Wash - Stuartli
One of the TV motoring programmes (can't for the life of me remember which) featured this bloke about a fortnight ago.

The main thing that came across was that his customers got their moneysworth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
The £5k Car Wash - lordy
Noting wrong with being thorough. But I don't understand why a 'natural' wax costing £xxx can be any better than Turtle Wax, or any other wax or polish product. Just because it's 'natural'.

As for the paint depth test. Get real. Having said that, after the process this guy goes through is finished, I'm surprised there is any paint left.

But, he has got nine a month waiting list for his services, so there must be alot of rich people out there with nothing better to spend their money on. Good luck to him. Sounds like he's got a great job, travelling around all expenses paid, cleaning some mega machinery and charging the earth.

--
The £5k Car Wash - Altea Ego
Mr Undertaker Sir...

His argu,ment was, and in the eyes of his customers, when a respray on one of the bits of kit he is refurbishing ( its not a clean) costs 35 grand, 5 grand is small beer.....

(and he is insured for a million or three just in case he does rub away all the paint)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The £5k Car Wash - lordy
Nothing wrong with being thorough. But I don't understand why a 'natural' wax costing £xxx can be any better than Turtle Wax, or any other wax or polish product. Just because it's 'natural'.

As for the paint depth test. Get real. Having said that, after the process this guy goes through is finished, I'm surprised there is any paint left.

But, he has got nine a month waiting list for his services, so there must be alot of rich people out there with nothing better to spend their money on. Good luck to him. Sounds like he's got a great job, travelling around all expenses paid, cleaning some mega machinery and charging the earth.

--
The £5k Car Wash - Stuartli
Just found out it was Fifth Gear..:-)

This is where the Mail probably got its story or from Fifth Gear itself and followed it up:

www.zdouk.com/newsroom.aspx
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
The £5k Car Wash - madf
I buy cars to drive, not to polish.

Is there something wrong with me?

:-)
madf
The £5k Car Wash - Chad.R
Its all relative isn't it?

Bloke A earns £30k, has a £8k car and spends £10 on autogylm and £20 on carwashes every year.

Bloke B earns $75k, has a £40k car and spends £150 on hand washes and valets every year.

Bloke C earns £250k..... you can see where I'm going with this
The £5k Car Wash - Ian (Cape Town)
A quick glance throught he pages of Octane or similar will show that there are some 70% Carnuba Wax polishes which go for over a hundred quid for a small tub...
Great if the car is static display and worth squillions.
However, Murphy's law being what it is, I KNOW that if i spend a fair few hours with hosepipe, bucket, sponge, chamois etc etc etc, and get the car looking spic and span, it WILL piddle down with rain in the next 36 hours, OR there will be a burst water main flooding the road down which I drive to work with mud and water, OR the entire large avian population of the province decide to use the car for "target practice", after eating a large amount of rotting squid, OR the local refinery will have another technical malfunction, spewing tons of oil into the air, and filthing-up every car for miles around, as well as my washing, swimming pool, garden furniture etc.
Oh, and ALL of the above have occured in the past two years!
The £5k Car Wash - Dynamic Dave

Full info here:-

www.miracledetail.co.uk