Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - Alek Smart
My `98 Skoda Felicia 1.9 Dsl Estate has developed a hot-start problem.
It starts from Cold no bother with Glow-Plug light illuminating normally.
However,once hot any restart even after a stop of up to 30 mins demands a great degree of starter turning.
One notable item is that the Glow Plug W/L fails to illuminate and quite obviously the plugs are not functioning at the higher temp.
I`m leaning toward a glow-plug prob but also wondering wat the actual cut-in/out temp is for GP functionality ?
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - AndyT
Not sure what the fault is, but I can't see it being glow plug related. These engines start quite easily from warm.

Can you hear/feel the pump fuel cut-off solenoid clicking when turning the key 'on'?

Not really important, but regarding the glow plug lamp not illuminating, try turning on the ignition key before closing the drivers door. Lamp lighting now?

Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - George Porge
Coolant temperature sensor would be my guess. There may be a test procedure for it in a haynes or similar manual.
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - AndyT
It's only a basic IDI diesel, so the coolant sensor wouldn't affect hot starting... I would be thinking valve clearances closing up, but pretty sure they're hydraulic tappets.

Does it rattle from the top-end when it starts from hot? Oil too thin, and leaking out of tappets?? Or maybe timing issue??
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - bell boy
immobilisor when hot problem?
sticking fuel shutoff when hot?
fuel draining back to tank once run up?

loads of thing to eliminate really,at least it starts from cold
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - Alek Smart
Good Man Oldman....Just realised that this model actually has a chipped ignition key,so ergo it must have an "Immobiliser" of a fashion.
Will have a poke around under the steering column shroud and see wat I Find >. Thanks all.
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - jc2
I.ve had problems in the past on one of my cars,a diesel with an immobilizer;when hot,if you turned the key to quickly after inserting,the solenoid would not operate and as soon as you started cranking,the suction fronm the injection pump would hold it on it's seat and it would never start.Solution,on mine,wait a few seconds before turning the key.
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - J.B.
I've had exactly the same problem with a Mk4 golf 110 Tdi for over a year now (VW couldn't find prob). I've learned that if it doesnt fire almost immediately when hot, don't keep churning just turn ignition of and turn key again. It's never failed to work so far.
I suspect some sensor is telling porkies or theres a bit of air or leak in some line or other but I'm no expert.
Skoda Felicia Dsl Hot Starting. - George Porge
I've had exactly the same problem with a Mk4 golf 110
Tdi for over a year now (VW couldn't find prob). I've
learned that if it doesnt fire almost immediately when hot, don't
keep churning just turn ignition of and turn key again. It's
never failed to work so far.
I suspect some sensor is telling porkies or theres a bit
of air or leak in some line or other but I'm
no expert.

That sounds like a relay 109 problem if its when hot? 109 is the main engine power relay in the fuse box (has 109 written on it) and are well known for dry joints inside the relay itself. You can either resolder with a high melting point solder or renew for £12 or so. Hope this helps
98`Skoda Felicia Dsl. - Alek Smart
Still tryin to sort out my hot hard start prob.
New Temp sender did nuttin for the prob (At least I`ve a spare Now)
However I`m veering towards a fuel solenoid prob or an Ignition Sw component.
My question relates to the TWO solenoid type valves screwed into the Lucas Fuel Inj Pump,one between the pump and engine block and the other on the opposite side of the pump.
Which,if either of these is the fuel inlet valve ?
Essentially ì want to determine if when the engine is hot the fuel valve is receiving a signal from the ign switch.....
98`Skoda Felicia Dsl. - Screwloose
Alek

If this is the AEF engine; is there a black plastic housing fixed to the end of the injection pump with three wires going to it? If so, that is the coded immobilizer unit bolted round/over the stop solenoid. Neither of the two visible solenoids are shut-offs.

First follow the cable from the annular key-reader coil on the steering lock back to the small plastic in-dash immob control unit [not the 18-pin pump/glow ECU] and check it's plug security/condition. Pin tarnishing is common. Proprietory electrical contact cleaner works well.