Fiat Uno clutch woes - chris
Request for help and advice, Kreg Fiat Uno bought a few months ago 36000 miles and it would appear to be genuine. Recently the clutch appears to slip occaisionaly. I did have a leaking clutch cylinder replaced recently. Could the two be connected and what sort of ajob is replacing the clutch on one of these I would like to do it myself if it's not too difficult.
Thanks for any help previous advice has been much valued.
Re: Fiat Uno clutch woes - Richard Hall
Odd, I thought Unos had a cable operated clutch.... Clutch change on these is not too difficult, as the gearbox is fairly light and can easily be manoeuvered out from underneath the car. Also, from memory there are only about six bolts between gearbox and engine. You have to drain the gearbox oil, otherwise it will all flood out as soon as you undo the inner driveshaft covers. Like most clutch changes it is fairly time consuming, due to the need to undo various bits of suspension, gearchange linkage etc first - but no special tools needed apart from a clutch plate alignment tool which shouldn't cost much.
Re: Fiat Uno clutch woes - Pete
As you state that your Uno has the hydraulic operated clutch, then I presume that it is a 1.0ie or 1.1ie. These are fitted with the C514 gearbox where it is required to press down on the gear lever when engaging reverse.

This box has external drive cups for the drive shafts (as per the Punto) so it should not be necessary to drain the oil, just remove the metal clips on the driveshaft boots, pull the drive shaft out of the cup and tie it out of the way. Have two plastic bags available to put over the boots or you will end up with grease all over your overalls. Have plastic tiewraps available to replace the metal bands on refitting of the box.

Clutch itself is easy to change and procedure is routine. As to the hydraulics, it is usualy the slave cylinder that goes. Slave cylinder itself is a little expensive (seal kit not available)

Rgds. petel@clara.co.uk
Re: Fiat Uno clutch woes - chris
Thank you both, yes it is the 1.0 ie and it was the slave cylinder that went and yes it was quite expensive. Could fluid from the cylinder have contaminated the clutch it doesnt look possible to me but I am suprised that the clutch should slip at such low mileage.
Re: Fiat Uno clutch woes - Andy Bairsto
The only way you will find out is changing the clutch,the other way is to give it a couple of clutch burning starts to burn any fluid reidue away but I think a change is the real answer
Re: Fiat Uno clutch woes - Pete
Highly unlikely that fluid from leaking slave cylinder will have got to the clutch plate. If there does turn out to be oil on the plate, it will be from either the crankshaft rear oil seal or the gearbox nose seal, though given the mileage (if genuine) this is also unlikely.

Go under the car and remove the sheet metal blanking cover from the lower section of the clutch bellhousing ( three bolts ) If there is oil there you will find it. If not, consider clutch change before risk of scoring the drive plate.