are remoulds rubbish? - steveo3002
i run a set of steel wheels during the winter to save my nice alloys..ive noticed the michelins i have on there are cracking due to old age i guess

anyway they'l soon need replacing. are remoulds worth thinking about? they dont have to look sexy or give race car handling..i may even consider a winter tyre
are remoulds rubbish? - keo-the-dog
Well i wouldn't use them on most cars but if i had an older banger low performance car then i might and have in the past, it's horses for courses they have to be made to certain standards so should be ok but i wouldn't put them on anything with a bit of performance...cheers...Keo.
are remoulds rubbish? - bell boy
remoulds are good tyres but obviously old tyres with a new coat
you get what you pay for
kingpin make good remoulds
budget new tyres are cheap these days
remoulds tend to be soft compound and dont do the mileage

it all comes down to your wallet at the end of the day and what you expect :)
are remoulds rubbish? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
From personal experience of several brands of remoulds coming apart (some years ago admittedly) I'd go for budget tyres if cost is an issue.
However for winter use I'd recommend all weather or snow tyres, depending on where you live. I use and recommend Vredestein Quatrac 2, purely as a satisfied customer.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
ok maybe i'll go for budgets

so winter tyres are a good idea? i live in uk, the tyres will be on for all the times theres salt on the roads, we dont get a awful amount of snow where i live, but plenty of rain/frost etc
are remoulds rubbish? - jc2
The price difference between budget and remoulds will only be a few pounds;is that all your family's(or your)life is worth??
are remoulds rubbish? - AlastairW
I have never had a problem with the one or two re-moulds I have used, but what ever you do dont buy a 'part-worn' tyre. How would you be able to tell how it had been treated by its first owner?
same argument with 2nd cars isnt it....how many people fit new tyres on a used car that they buy
are remoulds rubbish? - David Horn
Even winter tyres will be no more effective on ice than normal ones. Believe they only have an advantage in snow.
are remoulds rubbish? - kithmo
Can you still buy remoulds ?, I've not seen any advertised for ages.
are remoulds rubbish? - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/zf5ln

www.technictyre.co.uk/152.1.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
are remoulds rubbish? - Stuartli
Colway has always had a good reputation. See:

www.colwaytyres.co.uk/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
are remoulds rubbish? - Mapmaker
>>, but what ever you do dont buy a 'part-worn' tyre. How would you be able to tell how it had been treated by its first owner?

So when you hire a car, or lend a car to a somebody else (like your wife/g/f/partner you put new tyres on????????????????!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
are remoulds rubbish? - AlastairW
So when you hire a car, or lend a car to
a somebody else (like your wife/g/f/partner you put new tyres on????????????????!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now thats being facetious. Obviously I trust the hire co to give me a road worthy car, and if I lent mine out I would expect someone to tell me if they damaged it. A part worn tyre comes from who knows where and begs the question why was it replaced? The car it was on could have been written off in an accident or very badly treated and you just wouldnt know. Part worns are just not worth the risk imo.
are remoulds rubbish? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Remoulds can't be that bad. Most aircraft tyres are remoulds and look at the work they do! Maybe car ones aren't made to the same standards?
are remoulds rubbish? - Altea Ego
Aircraft tyres only travel in straight lines at speed and the runway has not potholes or speed bumps.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
are remoulds rubbish? - Chas{P}
Aircraft tyres only travel in straight lines at speed and the
runway has not potholes or speed bumps.

No, but they run at pressures of 75-240 psi and go from stationary to up to 150mph in a split second when landing and have to withstand large cornering forces when taxying. Believe me they do have a hard life and saw it myself when I changed some tyres on a Victor V Bomber last year. Any civil aircraft of the same weight (95 tons) would be similar.

Mr Shanks I'm sure would agree.
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Mr Shanks was a pilot and he does agree!
are remoulds rubbish? - Mutton Geoff
>Aircraft tyres only travel in straight lines at speed and the runway has not potholes or speed bumps

Not true. Unless the wind is blowing straight down the runway, there will be plenty of lateral force on the tyres when they touch the ground stationary on their axles and suddenly spooled up to 160mph (747 landing speeds).

Nairobi, Lagos and a dozen other airports I can think of have plenty of holes and bumps in their tarmac. You can safely assume that the remould process for aviation tyres (by Bridgestone etc) is nowhere near the equivalent that produce car tyres.

are remoulds rubbish? - Ian (Cape Town)
Nairobi, Lagos and a dozen other airports I can think of
have plenty of holes and bumps in their tarmac.

Off topic, forgive me...
The Hydro Air Cargo 747 is still at Lagos, after the pilot drove into a ditch.
He was directed to land on a certain runway, but told ATC that his Notams said the runway was u/s. ATC replied that it WAS servicable, and even put on the runway lights for him.
After digging the nosewheel into the ditch across the runway, the pilot radioed in to the tower in a 'sorely vexed' mood, to explain that the 747 was now pranged. Unsurprisingly the controller wasn't available - he had just 'popped out for a bit', and hasn't been seen since!
are remoulds rubbish? - Dynamic Dave
Now thats being facetious. Obviously I trust the hire co
to give me a road worthy car,

Just because it's a hire car, it doesn't mean that it's road worthy.
It's still your responsibility to check it over before driving it. If for instance it had a worn or bald tyre, you would be in trouble, not the hire company.
are remoulds rubbish? - L'escargot
I wouldn't like to generalise. However, the complete tread came off a remould that I once had. Whether I was justified or not I don't know but I vowed never to buy a remould again.
--
L\'escargot.
are remoulds rubbish? - cheddar
Car tyres and aircraft tyres - irrelevant comparison.

Remoulds are fine in applcations where the shape of the tread blocks are providing the grip, i.e. most off road applications, farm vehicles and even rallying. However on a road tyre the compound of the "rubber" itself is a major factor in providing grip and IMO the material used in remoulds just does not compare with OEM compounds. That being said a good remould might compare favourably with a very poor cheap budget tyre.
"Remoulds are fine in applications where the shape of the tread blocks are providing the grip." Well may be, but aircraft tyres don't have any tread blocks and are nearer 'slicks' than anything else' When you look at he number of tyres on an a/c and what the tyres have to do they are a top quality product. SFAIK they can be remoulded more than once too. I think it is down to the technology and the quality of product. A car tyre remould is not produced to such demanding standards as an aircraft one.
A car tyre remould is not produced to such demanding standards as an aircraft one.

I also said "Car tyres and aircraft tyres - irrelevant comparison."
Cheddar, yes you did! I am awake too early to be sharp!
are remoulds rubbish? - jc2
The only tyre failure I've ever had was a remould;however the tyre dealer replaced it without question,with another remould.
are remoulds rubbish? - Mapmaker
>>So when you hire a car, or lend a car to
a somebody else (like your wife/g/f/partner you put new tyres on????????????????!"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Now thats being facetious. Obviously I trust the hire co to >give me a road worthy car,

It's not being facetious. Do you change the tyres on a 'new' car when you buy it (even a New car might have been badly kerbed). You really don't know how the hire company's customers have treated the car.

At what point does kerbing a tyre become sufficient to replace it? We've all hit a tyre against a kerb... or a pothole or something on the road at speed. How do you determine whether or not the tyre is still OK? Go to a tyre shop? What can they tell you (unless the tyre bulges)?

If tyres were that fragile (and I have no doubt that some remoulds are prone to failure) then we'd hear about it. Insurance companies would not cover you driving on pre-used tyres. Pre-used tyre shops would not exist..

ok so if i go for budget new tyres...how does one decide what ones are a good buy? i cant afford top names , but i guess if theres a few £ in it id sooner avoid ditch finders
are remoulds rubbish? - MW
Had remoulds as a student 30 years ago, but they never lasted that long. Even with budget tyres, I can't see the point. You don't have to buy top price Michelin. Buy a cheaper straight brand like Firestone that is now unfashionable, but a fine safe tyre.
The key is to shop around. Huge differences exist. Many including Kwikfit will price match if challanged. With tyres you pay up for a sensible no glamour make. Then feel satisfied the problem is solved for 2-3 years. Then get on with your life.
Had remoulds as a student 30 years ago, but they never
lasted that long. >>

Not surprised, 30 years is a long time for any tyre ;-)
and theres been a lot of inflation since then
are remoulds rubbish? - Gromit {P}
Car tyre rubber compound perishes in about five years upon exposure to air and sunlight - irrespective of whether the tyre is driven on or not. Bear in mind that a remould tyre has already suffered some such wear, and you don't necessarily know how much.

Aircraft tyres aren't a valid comparision for two reasons: 1) they're remoulded because the thread wears off quicker than road tyres and 2) the rubber compound used is chosen to stand up to the air and sunlight degradation I mentioned above.

Likewise regroovable truck/bus tyres: they have a thicker layer of rubber under the tread into which the second groove can be cut, and the sidewall is specified to withstand more degradation.

As a polymer chemist, I'd prefer buy a new budget tyre instead of a remould, but its up to you to pay your money and make your choice...
are remoulds rubbish? - Paul I
Remolds are very standard use in the Commercial Vehicle world i.e. trucks even with the likes of Tesco's etc but tyres are very carefully managed as follows

New Tyre fitted
Regroved at 3 mm
Remixed (a remold to you and me)
Regroved
Disposed

Life out a typical commercial tyre on UK motorway work about 400,000 K at least because trailers are less subjective to wear you can get more out of a wheel - a unwritten rule is not to use a remold on a steer axle but to move it to a trailer for a second life
are remoulds rubbish? - L'escargot
Remolds are very standard use in the Commercial Vehicle world ....

And just look at the number of detached treads you see at the side of motorways.
--
L\'escargot.
are remoulds rubbish? - DrS
Bought a remould about 20 years ago. Was it deleted?
Lasted about 3 days, and the tread separated on the motorway.
Q Frightening.
Took it back to the place from whence it came.
Once off, you could plainly see that the original carcase had been plugged for puncture repairs on 3 occasions.
Crazy, or what?
Never bought a retread since.
are remoulds rubbish? - Paul I
The amount of casings on the motorway is nothing to do with remolds its all to do with under inflation of the tyre !!
correct paul 1 but this argument is embedded in folk lore that they are remoulds so it will always stick that they are.
are remoulds rubbish? - Number_Cruncher
The amount of casings on the motorway is nothing to do
with remolds its all to do with under inflation of the
tyre !!

Absolutely spot on, and I echo oldman's comments too.

It's quite a time consuming job to check all the tyre pressures on a truck, and some run from month to month without being checked.

In my father's haulage company, he tried to get the drivers doing basic checks like oil, water, tyre pressures and wheel nut security. They caused so much damage that soon, he brought the job back under the control of the workshop. With the mix of English and Continental trucks and trailers we had, there was an awful mixture of left and right hand wheel nut threads.

We also used to follow the recut/remix/recut/scrap policy too, only using remix tyres on axles with twin tyres.

We worked quite closely with a major tyre manufacturer, and used to test their trial tyre formulations for wear on our long distance trucks - we got some tyres cheaper, and they got real life wear data without the hassle of setting up a test.

I used to enjoy changing a few truck tyres, by hand, using tyre levers - an excellent work out to get the blood pumping!

Number_Cruncher
are remoulds rubbish? - Lud
Only blowout I ever had wasn't a remould but a Michelin X, fairly well worn... never did work out what had happened. It certainly wasn't underinflated at the beginning of the journey anyway.

The OP asked: are remoulds rubbish?

Vicky Pollard has the answer: yeah but no but...

The rest is mere detail.