Ka (R reg) - slow to return to idle - Peter
We have a Ka with the 1.3 engine. "R" reg.

The engine does not rapidly come back to idle but sticks at the highest revs before slowly returning to idle.

I rerouted the throttle cable and soaked it in WD40 but to no avail. The local Ford dealer wants £82.00/hour to sort it out and our local garage does not have the proper diagnostic kit.

Any ideas please.

Thank you.
Filed this into the new drop down doodah wotsit. - PU
Ford Ka - slow to return to idle - DozyG
Peter,

I'm assuming this is the same 1.3 HCS engine that was fitted to the fiesta. This sort of thing is a common problem. There can be a number of issues:
1. The HEGO/lambda sensor - which determines how much oxygen is left in the exhaust gases (~£80 + fitting + vat)
2. Sticky or defective throttle control motor

There are a number of simple things I'd check before spending any cash at the mechanics:
1. Clean out the the oil filler cap and crankcase breather hose (thats the one that goes from the oil filler cap to the air-filter housing). THis commonly gets blocked with engine oil mayonaise and can cause issues with stalling and idle speed.
2. Take off the air filter housing and with the engine running at high revs, give the throttle body a good clean with some carb cleaner.

Hope this helps

G
Ford Ka - slow to return to idle - Dynamic Dave
One of the previous suggestions posted is to check the switch above the clutch pedal....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22353

Another possibility could be....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=1056&m...e

Ford Ka - slow to return to idle - mystery character
My Ka suffered from over-revving. I managed to solve the problem by removing the connector for the throttle position sensor and spraying the contacts with switch cleaner.