Honda CTDI Civic smoke problem - treblig
About 6 months ago Honda replaced the turbo unit in my 2002 Civic CTDI. In last few weeks the car exhaust has starting smoking - grey/blue - which is fine if you want to leave following traffic in a cloud of dust! Honda have run all their diagnostic tests and can find nothing obviously wrong. Oil & water levels fine and no sign of cross contamination. Filters also okay. Apparently Honda UK unable to help - not reported before. At their suggestion, ran some Wynns Turbo3 fuel additive through it, no better.
Any ideas/similar experiences please?
Honda CTDI Civic smoke problem - Roly93
Resisting the temptation to say "no it can't be true that a fault exists on a honda !", has the fuel consumption increased at all ?
Honda CTDI Civic smoke problem - Peter D
I assume the the replacement Turbo is guaranteed for at least another 6 months ?? Did they record live data on a test drive and do they or you think this is over fuelling or oil burning. It sounds like over fuelling, ot too much boost. What sort of journeys do you make with this car, long, short, fast, ?? Will it pass a Diesel MOT emisions max rpm test which I hate. Regards Peter
Honda CTDI Civic smoke problem - treblig
Hi Peter,
I suspect it is a fuel burning problem. Consumption has gone up (70 miles less to the tank full) and performance slightly tailed off (5mph off over my favourite hilltop!) Doesn't seem to make much difference type of journey. It does however manifest itself more visibly from cold start.I know you tend to get a whiff of smoke on hard acceleration, but this clears the road! Strangely enough sustained high revs when stationary doesn't produce same effect. I know they connected up to diagnostic gear in the w/shop but suspect the test drive was low tech. Have found one similar case on another forum, but sadly he didn't find the answer.
Honda CTDI Civic smoke problem - Peter D
I agree it is a fueling problem but over boosting from the turbo can cause this and again mainly shows when on high load, cruise or lo load almost clear exhaust, thus my question about the turbo/ waste gate and actuator guarantee. Did they check cam and injector timing, Temperature Sensor lazy is a common one, the engine then thinks it is a bit cold. Ask Honda UK what you are supposed to de now as your local Dealer can not find the fault. Perhaps they will direct you to a more experienced dealership. Regards Peter