new vectra !!!!!! - jon
A NEW VECTRA , IM WILLING TO BET IT WILL HAVE THE SAME OLD PROBLEMS.
FLASHING ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHTS, AIRBAG LIGHTS AND FAILING DASHBOARD DISPLAYS.
ON THE EARLY VECTRAS MOST OF THE FAULTY ELECTRICAL PARTS WERE MADE BY SIEMENS WHO ARE AT THIS MOMENT DESIGNING THE MOT COMPUTER SYSTEM. THAT SHOULD BE INTERESTING !!!
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Pete W
Was it Siemens who did the Passport system some time ago ?
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Pete
Yes, and I believe, the one at Luna House, which also cost the taxpayer dear.
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Andy Bairsto
The new Vectra is to be released on 27 April and I think many people will be very suprised at the increase in quality and the options available.I had the pleasure of seeing one at our local GM agent here in Dresden and I was impressed.
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - T.Lucas
If Ford pay £10 for a component,Toyota and Nissan pay £10.50,Vauxhall&Rover want to pay about £2.50,so obviously,they end up with the junk components,and i guess the new Vectra will be more of the same.
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Flat in Fifth
T.Lucas wrote:
>
> If Ford pay £10 for a component,Toyota and Nissan pay
> £10.50,Vauxhall&Rover want to pay about £2.50,so
> obviously,they end up with the junk components,and i guess
> the new Vectra will be more of the same.

Obviously T Lucas has never had to deal with the value engineering bods from Ford then.

Pah utter bull****
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Marcus
Ford have screwed all the UK Foundries and other suppliers into accepting constantly reducing prices for castings etc. they are still looking at Spain and Eastern Europe for lower prices to try and screw the UK suppliers down even more. It is an absolute disgrace and we should boycott their overpriced tat.
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Mark (Brazil)
I always liked the Vectra. It wasn't perfect, but I found it comfortable, reliable and quite fun.

I liked the Cavalier before it as well.

And whilst I have never owned a Vectra, only driven rentals, I did own several Cavaliers.
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - John S
Jon

I did 80,000 in mine, it never let me down and virtually nothing went wrong. That was typical of the experience of the Vectras on my previous company car fleet. They didn't keep winning Fleet awards for nothing.

Good on fuel, comfortable on motorways - no where near as bad as some would make out.

regards

john
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - T.G.Webb
I can only agree with jon, my 96 petrol 1.6 was the joint worst car I've owned (with Citroen Dyane) - your fault list is familiar to me, for airbag light read cambelt idlers.
It was a disgrace to the makers and to the industry. If the Vectra II is a lemon, GM should find an excuse to resurrect the Cavalier - not only was it more economical to maintain, at least, with it you could get face level cool air with the heater on.
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Richard P
T.G Webb...I have a 2000 (W) Vectra saloon and you can get face level cool air! In fact you can have cold air to either your feet and face, windscreen and face etc. sorry but I can't understand your comment there?!
Anyway as I have mentioned before on this site, I am very happy with my facelifted, post 99 revamp 2.0 TD Vectra; good performance, quiet, comfortable, reliable and a constant 46-50 MPG even with the air-con on. A satisfied customer! Oh yes, and competitive insurance. Fully comprehensive under £500 for a 23 year old is quite remarkable in my book!
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - T.G.Webb
Richard P., I am glad that the revised Vectra saw improvements as you've mentioned. However you'll appreciate that I have to speak as I find.

Unfortunately, in my case, a vehicle which had done the bulk of its mileage in a working life should have been all set for quite a few years service during the retirement of my wife and myself. Instead it has had to be replaced at 5 years because we could no longer tolerate the inherent faults enduring through its life (together with a few new ones) leaving us with a substantial hole in our capital.

It's understandable I think that it's little consolation to GM customers of a model in its early years to find that after 4 years of further development it really is ready for the road.

If I were a business or private user considering the purchase of the Vectra II I would disregard it for an extended period until any persistent reports of weaknesses had ceased to appear.

GM had a brief publicity theme: "Quality is a right, not a privilege". Quite correct of course but, unfortunately, only a slogan.
Saab - CM
Did Saab have all these problems? I never seems to hear about the 9-3 and old 9-5 having any problems except for a dreadful chassis
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - chris
What insurance company is that?
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Richard P
I have just gone with Hastings Direct in Sussex, telephone 0800 22 1066. I have 3 years NCB, no accidents or convictions etc. on a 2.0 TD W reg Vectra and do about 15K per year. So far I am rather impressed with them as their service is very professional. Churchill's renewal this year was £715, so it certainly pays to phone around as Hastings wanted £481!
Re: new vectra !!!!!! - Dan J
The new Vectra looks good to me and looks to be everything it should be and everything the first Vectra wasn't.

Leafing through various motoring magazines while SWMBO was food shopping they all say the same thing - The Mondeo is still the best car in this class, but the Vectra comes pretty damn close...

Besides which, I like my Vectra anyway and not having had the cash for a new type Mondeo chose it over the pre 2001 Mondeo as I found it more comfortable, more responsive and generally better put together.

Dan