vw Golf caliper. how to get pistons out? - steveo3002
i have a pair of 2nd hand brae calipers from a vw golf,ive purchased new seals , but cant seem to get the pistons out??

i havent got a airline to pop em out..so is there another way?

ive tried pulling them with pliers or gripping the piston in a vice but i cant budge em!

im fairly sure theyre not siezed as i can push the piston back in
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - Peter D
The outer lip of the bore will be corroded and may be preventing the piston from coming out. Make up an adaptor and go to a garage air line, however if they do pop out the 'POP' can ber very loud. 60/70 psi may not be enough. Years ago I used a good grease gun and connected it to a caliper and popped them out that way ( Volvo Caliper ) no bang either. Regards Peter
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - Crinkly Dave
Careful, as 60-70 psi will give 200+ lbs force and the pistons are likely to be ejected with considerable force and a long way. The grease gun would give much higher pressure and force, but like brake fluid, is almost incompressible and would not cause violent ejection.

One safer way is to take flexible off car , and attach to "new" caliper, and use hydraulics to move the piston. May need to use a g clamp to restrain one piston whilst removing the other.

usually nearly the same price to buy a reconditioned caliper.
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - Aprilia
Put a piece of thin wood in front of the pistons and keep your fingers out of the way!
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - Peter D
Absolutely. That would really smart !!! Regards Peter
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - bell boy
your all mad chuck it away and get a factory recon .
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - Aprilia
your all mad chuck it away and get a factory recon

What? Some recon Jap calipers can be £150 from a factor. Pick up a seal kit for under £20 and you're away...
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - George Porge
Front or rear callipers?
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - steveo3002
its a front...ive been given the calipers and new genuine vw seals, i have no intention of throwing them away
caliper rebuild..how to get pistons out? - George Porge
Should come out ok, foot pump?
vw Golf caliper. how to get pistons out? - MW
On a Polo some years ago it had a split diagonal system that allowed one to apply brake hydraulic pressure once the capliper was 'off' the disk. Slowly and under some conrol it eased out and then spurted fluid. One then pushed the brake peddle again for the other side.If your system is front and back, push the peddle until one or both move. When nearly out, block the 'easy' one and put pressure on the 'stuck' one.