Corsa, water in the oil???? - penguin
My friend has a corsa (y reg)1.0. The oil light came on today whilst she went shopping and a man came over and took the lid off and topped it up with oil for her, he said there looks like theres water in the oil. The oil light now stays on all the time. Anyone have any ideas??????
Many thanks
Corsa, water in the oil???? - madf
Stop driving it and get it into a good garage asap.

Likely possibilities:
1. Head gasket failure: explains water in oil, but not oil warning light.
2. Bearings gone: explains light but not water.
3. 1 and 2 combined.. Water would ruin bearings if ditrubted around engine by pump.

Any overheating? Strange noises?

From your explanation , impossible to say.
madf
Hi, thanks for that. No strange noises and no overheating. She is at my house at the moment and needs to go home which is 20 miles. What should she do? she is a member of the aa.
Many thanks
Corsa, water in the oil???? - John S
Call the AA. Do NOT drive it with the oil light on. That means there is no oil pressure, which will wreck it. It's possible the switch has gone faulty, but don't risk it.

Only source of water in oil is the cooling system. Is the level in the coolant resrvoir low?

JS
Will check the coolant reservoir. My hubbys just come home and he's had a look, think its the head gasket as theres gunk around the cap, also theres a fair bit of oil over the bottom of the car.
Many thanks
Hubbys just started the car for her and the light has now gone out?
Corsa, water in the oil???? - John S
Corsas are prone to 'mayonaise' in the oil filler, and it doesn't necessarily mean the gasket's gone. Oil under engine is certainly a leak, but not necessarily head gasket. Could be why the oil was low! Dare I ask when it was last checked???

What is the coolant level, and how much oil was needed? It's got to be very low (almost empty) for the oil light to come on - it's not a level indicator -it's a pressure indicator, and the oil pump pick up is near the bottom of the sump.

JS.
Hi, coolant level is fine. Only a little oil was needed but then the light stayed on.
Thanks
Corsa, water in the oil???? - Peter D
Head gasket may be blowing air into the pressured oilway and forcing the oil out of the pump thus no pressure one the pump is empty. Do not drive the car. Regards Peter
Corsa, water in the oil???? - madf
I would recommend don't drive.
The red light may have gone out cos the engine has cooled off.(or the oil has) or there is more water in the sump.. or whatever. You need an expert locally. As above call AA if a member

Oil all over place does not sound promising..
madf
The aa are on their way. Many thanks for all your help. They will have a look at it when they pick it up.
Thanks again