MOT diesel Opacity test - cheddar
Hello,

My Mondeo passed its second MOT yesterday, 4 years and 105k miles, no problems. It's first MOT last year was just prior to the computerised system being introduced, I recall the tester revving it hard three or four times re the emissions test. I am not sure if the test has changed though this time it was an Opacity test measuring the transmission of light through the exhaust emissions, I understand that the car can go through up to six test cycles to be within the max 3.00, mine came out at 1.46 first time so one application of full throttle for a second or so was all it required.

Has the test changed or do different test centres use different methods re diesel emissions?

Regards.
MOT diesel Opacity test - bell boy
thats how it should be at all test stations.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Third MOT yesterday, 5 years and 116k miles, no problems. Re the Opacity test measuring the transmission of light through the exhaust gases, where as last year it came out at 1.46 first time so one application of full throttle for a second or so was all it required (a "fast pass") this time it took three goes to acheive an average, the difference - last time they did the emissions test immediately upon my arrival, this time the car sat waiting for 30mins then at idle for another 30 mins while the rest of the test was conducted prior to the emmisions test.

Regards.
>>Third MOT yesterday,>>

Sorry today, Mon 16th.
MOT diesel Opacity test - FP
My 306 HDi (X reg, 78,583 miles) was tested yesterday. It had three "runs", scoring 1.55, 0.50 and 1.44, average 1.16 - pass. I was curious to see what the regulations/procedures are and found the following on www.dvtani.gov.uk:

Basically, if you score less than 1.5 you pass on that alone. If not, two more runs will be done and an average taken of all three. (Pass is a score of less than 2.5 for non-turbos, or 3.0 for turbos.) If you have not passed after this, further runs will be done, up to a total of six, the average of the last three scores always being taken after each run. If the average of runs four, five and six is too high, you fail.

So I just missed getting a pass on the first run. As the cam belt had just been changed I wasn't too worried about the test.
MOT diesel Opacity test - Dalglish
last time they did the emissions test immediately upon my arrival, this time the car sat waiting for 30mins
then at idle for another 30 mins while the rest of the test was conducted prior to the emmisions test.

according to the northern-ireland link that chrispeugeot posted, the test procedure should be:

www.dvtani.gov.uk/vehicletesting/viewteststages.asp
A strict routine is uniformly applied in all Test Centres to test the safety and roadworthiness of your vehicle. The Vehicle Test procedure is described in detail including the testing criteria.
Stage 1 On Arrival Smoke Test Exhaust Emission Under Bonnet Inspection
Stage 2 Headlamp Alignment Headlamp Alignment Testing Criteria
Stage 3 Brake Test Interior Inspection Brakes Testing Criteria
Stage 4 Under Body Inspection

MOT diesel Opacity test - Brian Tryzers
>A strict routine is uniformly applied in all Test Centres to test the safety and roadworthiness of your vehicle. The Vehicle Test procedure is described in detail including the testing criteria.
Stage 1 On Arrival Smoke Test...

That suggests that the precaution I've taken of having my MoTs done at a test station ten miles from home is a sound one. The car arrives fully warmed up and with the benefit of a few trips round the rev counter to blow out any lingering soot. So far, so good - two tests and two fast passes. I couldn't say whether a steady diet of Shell Extra or my general liking for the way the D5 sounds (and goes) at 4000 rpm has made a difference.

Incidentally, do any of the other diesel drivers here notice their own exhaust smoke? My wife has commented on it occasionally when she's seen me off from the front door and I've started the car from cold, but I've never seen it in my mirrors. I also notice smoke from newish diesels in front, say when changing down to accelerate, but I've never noticed this from my car. Am I just not spotting it?
MOT diesel Opacity test - David Horn
White smoke when it's really cold outside and the engine is stone cold, and plenty of cack in the mirror if I floor it at night, but apart from that it seems quite clean. My car has enjoyed a fast pass the last three times I've had it tested, and the tester has only blipped the throttle.