Old Jag - richard turpin
1987 XJ 3.6 (first with square headlights) Parked it, everything OK. Came to start, one cough, then nothing. Try again, nothing, but while churning, all the dashboard dials flash together till I stop churning. Try again, same thing, all dials flash in unison. I've changed the plugs, but it makes no difference. Does anyone have any ideas?
Re: Old Jag - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Sounds like an earth connection somewhere on the chassis to engine.Check by attaching a jump lead from -ve pole on battery and a good earth point on the engine. If it backfired thro the inlet, the rubber trunk between airflow meter and throtlle body may have split or been dislodged. Crankshaft ignition pickup common failing (among MANY others).
Re: Old Jag - richard turpin
Andrew, many thanks for your help. I have now discovered that the plugs all have a good spark, so it's not ignition. I'm now onto fuel. The pump works fine. Injection system next! So far I can't find any fuses for the injection system. They seem to be scattered all over the place. Frankly I'm not that impressed with the layout. Everything looks like an afterthought.
Pity, the original XJ was brilliant in 1969.
Regards Richard
Re: Old Jag - richard turpin
Just changed a headlight bulb. Impossible to do without removing a bracket holding 4 relays. This was held in by 2 bolts. Now it's held in by only one as the other was impossible to replace. Great design or what!