Xantia 1.9TYD engine run on - Keith J
Hi,

My Xantia 1.9TD engine has just started running on after I sprung an LHM leak fron a hydraulic pipe and it covered the engine bay. I've fixed the pipe but it runs on every time now for quite a while before I can stop it, so it's possible that the cutoff solenoid is being shorted by fluid or I've disturbed the wiring. (the engine stops after some turning the ignition on and off.)

Where is the cutoff solenoid located so that I can investigate the cause? My local shop has a manual on order but it's out of stock at their suppliers at the moment so any help would be appreciated.

I must point out that this problem did not occur before the leak.

Thanks

Keith
Xantia 1.9TYD engine run on - RichardW
Keith,

The stop solenoid is located on the end of the injection pump - however, if the car has a keypad immobiliser it will be hidden by a metal shield that needs to be cut off to access the solenoid (most recommend taking the pump off, but I did hear of someone recently who removed one in situ with an angle grinder...!) The LHM shouldn't really be causing this problem, as I would imagine it's non conductive. It's possible that the radiator is leaking water into the electrical cable conduit under it, and this is causing the problems. Is it possible the LHM has found its way into the air intake, and the car is running on that?

There is a stop lever on the injection pump - on the front, and IIRC you push it to the right (as you look at it) and the engine should stop (although not if it's running on LHM!).

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks

It is possible that LHM has got into the air intake, as the pipe in question was the metal one from behind the acc sphere to the hydraulic pump, (the one nearest to the front of the sump). This was a pin prick that fired a small jet of fluid, but I must have disturbed it when I started the engine to depressurise the system as this then became a torrent of LHM everywhere. I assume that once any LHM in the air intake has burnt off (if this is the cause), then things should return to normal. The car has the keypad immobiliser. I think that it is less likely to be a radiator leak.
It would appear that it was LHM fluid in the air intake and it now stops when I turn off the ignition. I never even considered that possibility before your suggestion. Thanks again. One more thing sorted out.

Keith