Rubbing noise MK3 Golf with clutch in - PaulC2004
Any help please, as title suggests, I'm getting a rubbing noise over about 30mph and is most prominent when the clutch is pressed in. Before I noticed it was just with the clutch pressed I suspected wheel bearing (as per previous post - thanks for info). Jacked all wheels up but can not reproduce sound and no obvious excessive movement of wheels either

The sound is similiar to the one when you have a stone trapped between brake caliper & disc.

Any help much appreciated..
Thanks
Rubbing noise MK3 Golf with clutch in - mfarrow
I can only think of the clutch release bearing?! Will have to have gearbox out for this. Not sure what else it could be...

--------------
Mike Farrow
Cheers Mike, another mate suggested that too and it seems to make sense. "Bearing" in mind the car is 10 years old and cost me £400 whats the worse that can happen if I dont get it done ? e.g its causing me no problems other than irritation of the noise...
Rubbing noise MK3 Golf with clutch in - RichardW
I'd go with the release bearing as well. It might just stay noisy, or it might seize and then chew its way through the pressure plate - leaving you unable to drive the car. I think it's unlikely to cause and permanent damage (unless the clutch self destructs and exits via the side of the gearbox!). I'd be tempted to monitor it on a cheap car and see if it deteriorates before deciding to take the bax out. However, I'd imagine that changing the clutch on a car of this age will be quite easy.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Cheers Richard, I think I'll go with that plan, so presumably having the clutch replaced will include the release bearing - e.g if I wanted to get a price I could just ask the garage for a new clutch (assuming it includes the vital part!)
Paul
Price from garage for new clutch kit - £225 + VAT, ouch. £150 jut for the bearing but old bearing plus new clutch = problems within a couple of weeks.
Rubbing noise MK3 Golf with clutch in - mfarrow
The bearing has to come off before the garage even touch the clutch, so I see no reason to just replace the bearing without the clutch, but then again I'm not a mechanic...

Those prices sound like they came as a bit of a shock, I hope you're bearing up! :-)

--------------
Mike Farrow