false mpg? - scfc_151
just wondering how people advertising cars on ebay for example are working out the mpg? for example 1 guy selling a 306 hdi claiming 70mpg+ which is over 900 miles a tank!!!
false mpg? - smokescreen
Possibility at 50mph steady although who realistically does 50mpg? I did close to 60mpg in a xud series diesel doing 50mph steady around the cotsworlds.
false mpg? - FP
I get 52 - 56 mpg and that usually includes some motorway driving at 70 - 75 mph as well as some enthusiastic acceleration.
false mpg? - v0n
What you do is you sneakily switch trip computer into mpg mode, drive full blast to the top of the hill to gain momentum and as you reach the peak, you press reset button and then roll the car down hill in neutral while explaining to the buyer how marvelous mpg figures the car is capable of - at that point trip computer starts spitting out completely beserked figures between 70 and 99 mpg. As you reach bottom of the hill you quickly switch computer to different mode.

Had a dealer play the above sale pitch on me. Needless to say the sale was unsuccessfull.
--------------------
[Nissan dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
false mpg? - Collos25
I would not believe a word of a car descrition on E bay ,best is to do your homework and then examine the vehicle .I think there must be a web site with write ups of every car you can down load some you read are pure fantasy.
false mpg? - plecostomus
To be fair, it depends on driving conditions. My MkIV golf 1.8T20v has an "average" of 34mpg published. In mixed motorway @ town mine has averged 39mpg over 100 000 miles - makes a diesel harder to justify for my money.
false mpg? - L'escargot
Most people lie about their fuel consumption ~ either intentionally so as to try to get one over on someone else, or unintentionally simply because they don't calculate a genuine average figure. Single journeys or single tankfulls are fairly meaningless. I believe plecostomus because he/she has calculated the average consumption over a large mileage. "Official" figures are for specific driving conditions which most (if not all) drivers will not be able to replicate.
--
L\'escargot.
false mpg? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Single journeys or single tankfulls are fairly meaningless

that's certaily true - looking at my excel spreadsheet for 05 -06 tax year then single tankfuls varied between 32 mpg & 42*, with an overall average of 37 mpg over the 33K miles I drove.

* ignoring the few weeks my lambda sensor went belly up, mpg anywhwere from 24 to 42 mpg then!
false mpg? - Pezzer
Never got more than 29mpg out of mine - well done !

P
false mpg? - Red Baron
Over the last 900 miles (tank-brim method) my Mondeo TDCi has managed just 39mpg. Can anyone get less than this? ;-)
false mpg? - Xileno {P}
On my car I can get it to show 99mpg by fiddling the reset whilst coasting. If only...

56mpg is my average, dropping to 48mpg when I drive it hard.
false mpg? - Altea Ego
I can make the touran display 199 mpg spot reading by fiddling and coasting

For info the Ran has averaged 46.7 over the last 8,000 miles. Its not good at high motorway speeds. Something to do with its brick like aerodynamics
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
false mpg? - Lud
How do these displays work anyway? Some of the earliest 2nd-generation Passats used to have an mpg readout, fluctuating wildly, probably based on a vacuum gauge. Toys, not instruments... and incidentally odometers aren't scientific instruments either and often read, like speedometers, five or ten per cent out... But most people take the word of the odometer although they don't take the speedometer as gospel.
false mpg? - barchettaman
The thought of RF fiddling and coasting on the motorway makes me feel slightly ill.
false mpg? - Chad.R
For info the Ran has averaged 46.7 over the last 8,000
miles. Its not good at high motorway speeds. Something to do
with its brick like aerodynamics

I'd happily take 46.7 all day and night ;-)

Is that better or worse than your Laguna? .....and what would you expect from the same engine in a Passat?
false mpg? - Altea Ego
Yes its approx 4-5mpg at 70mph down on the Laguna. That and the extra 10 litres in the goona tank really cuts the motorway range down.

Funny enough the Ran is much better round town. The goona would get about 46 mpg from an urban tank, the Ran gets 50-51mpg.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
false mpg? - PhilW
While in a C3 courtesy car last week, I was amused to see that on a downhill slip road from a dual carriageway the mpg computer thing went up to 267mpg before I had to brake for the roundabout. Wonder if I could have got it higher??!!
--
Phil
false mpg? - Chad.R
The Omega's computer, which had 3 digits before the decimal point, used to show 999.9mpg when coasting - as I presume the fuel pump was shut down.

SWMBO's Yaris (which only has 2 digits) shows 99.9mpg in similar circumstances. Incidentally it is also the most accurate trip computer I've experienced - always within 1 mpg of my brim-to-brim calculations.

In some ways I'm glad the Landcruiser doesn't have a mpg readout as it might take the shine off each (usually very enjoyable) journey.
false mpg? - Roly93
To be fair, it depends on driving conditions. My MkIV golf
1.8T20v has an "average" of 34mpg published. In mixed motorway
@ town mine has averged 39mpg over 100 000 miles -
makes a diesel harder to justify for my money.

>>
But a 1.9 TDI Golf under the same conditions will probably average 30% more mpg which is not insignificant.
false mpg? - plecostomus
OK .. but nor is the extra cash for the diesel, the extra cost new, the heavier engine effects on handling etc. Just not sure that for a small car, diesel makes sense against the best of the petrol engines..