Peugeot 1.5 diesel engine - Piers
A mates M reg 106 'Mardi Gras' 1.5d has snapped it's cam belt at 90,000 miles. He's been informed that there is considerable damage to the engine by a garage that is quoting £700 to put it right. I assume as it's a diesel that there isn't much space in the combustion chamber and the impact of piston to valves will be cause lots of damage.

I reckon his cars worth about £1200 to £1500 or so as a private sale.

For £700 will he get a 'new' rebuilt and reconditioned engine? Or just a new head, valves and pistons? Do these have a turbo which will be full of bit's of valves? Are there any good, recommended suppliers of reconditioned peugeot diesel engines?

Is it worth him getting it MOTd before the repairs are done to make sure that it's not going to cost him another couple of hundred in a few months time?

How much would it be worth without a working engine (ie to someone who would source one from a write-off and drop it in as a DIY project)? A couple of hundred?

Piers
Re: Peugeot 1.5 diesel engine - Andrew Moorey
I just paid £100 for an M reg AX 1.5D Dimension in running order albeit with a leaking fuel pump and slightly noisy gearbox if thats anything to go by!