Why is my exhaust black? - Happy Blue!
Three petrol cars in the family.

1. Subaru Forester XT - does about 10,000 miles a year of mixed driving.
2. Subaru Forester (old shape) - does about 6,000 miles a year of mainly suburban driving, but some motorway work.
3. Suzuki Wagon R+ - does about 4,000 miles per year of suburban driving.

So, the Subarus have black exhausts. The XT (Turbo) has a load of soot on the inside and dribbling over the edge. The other is not so different, and they have both beenon 260 mile round trips to Wales this weekend with at least 200 miles on fast straight roads.

The Suzuki exhaust looks like it has just been replaced by a new tail pipe - its spotless. Whats going on? Is this the sympton of another problem which also causes poor economy and what can I do about it. BTW the older Subaru passes the MoT without fail. New one too new.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Why is my exhaust black? - Big Bad Dave
Press your eye firmly against the sooty tailpipe and have a good look inside
Why is my exhaust black? - Happy Blue!
I'm too old to fall for that one!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Could be a blockage. Press lips firmly against sooty tailpipe and blow.
Why is my exhaust black? - Altea Ego
Behave Dave
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Why is my exhaust black? - Altea Ego
Anyway, I thought Sooty Tailpipes had been banned from here?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I?m doing my best. Nobody else wants to help him.
Why is my exhaust black? - Adam {P}
Stick a banana up it.

The potassium reacts with the soot and makes it shiny again.

Don't listen to Dave - he's being stupid.
Why is my exhaust black? - Dynamic Dave
Can we have some sensible suggestions please.

DD.
"the older Subaru passes the MoT without fail"

that?s going in my book of nonsense English
Why is my exhaust black? - Xileno {P}
Usually a sign the engine's running a bit rich. But on a service it should be checked.
Why is my exhaust black? - Roly93
Usually a sign the engine's running a bit rich. But on
a service it should be checked.

Subarus are usually quite heavy on fuel, perhaps they are prone to being set-up on the rich side ?
Why is my exhaust black? - Civic8
>>Subarus are usually quite heavy on fuel, perhaps they are prone to being set-up on the rich side ?

only time I have seen a sooty one is when they run over rich between startup and engine hot,it may only do this at cold but water builds up in exhaust.

if it does not get hot enough, the water just builds up soot and all causing tailpipe to get sooted up with water dripping from/or pouring out
--
Steve
Why is my exhaust black? - mss1tw
Some difference between the boxer engine and inline 4?
Why is my exhaust black? - teabelly
Get some high octane fuel in it. Stick in some injector cleaner and take it for a good blast. Check the air filter. If that is cruddy then the car may be running richer than it should. Check the plugs too and see whether they're sooty.

Was it ever clean and shiny?
teabelly
Why is my exhaust black? - cheddar
The Subarus are biggish unstressed engines so spend a lot of their time at low revs where they burn inefficiently, however the Suzuki is being thrashed just to get to the shops.
Why is my exhaust black? - Stargazer {P}
E3,

I grew up reading that the inside of the exhaust should be a light grey (too white = lean, black = rich) on older 4* cars without catalytic convertors. My first cars all agreed with this and gave good economy.

All my subsequent cars with cats havent shown this behaviour, Holden barina (Corsa), Subaru Outback 2.5, Volvo V40 1.8 all running on unleaded with a Cat and good economy but with sooty exhausts (not oily though). Asked once for the mixture to be checked but all ok (all cars used mainly for long journeys).

Not really an explanation, but hope it is useful background

StarGazer
Why is my exhaust black? - L'escargot
One of the products of combustion of petrol (and other hydrocarbon fuels) is water. If the exhaust pipe is hot enough the water will come out as steam which, once the system has warmed up, you probably won't notice because it will be a small proportion of the total exhaust gases. If the water condenses just before the end of the tailpipe it will drip out of the end. I've had cars where this happened and the result was that the end of the tailpipe corroded and ended up looking quite ragged. On most cars the condensation occurs before it gets to the end of the tailpipe, and that will be where failure of the pipe will occur ~ unless it's stainless of course.
--
L\'escargot.
Why is my exhaust black? - cjehuk
The whitey colour was lead dioxide from leaded petrol. Hence you no longer get that.

The black is just the soot emissions from the engine condensing on the side of the tailpipe. A low emission engine still produces a reasonable amount of soot (carbon) when burning. It's simply because while our combustion is currently good, swirl isn't always perfect so at less than maximum efficiency and reasonable gas flow speed you get some incomplete combustion resulting in the soot.