Punto in limp home mode - dodo
Well my mum in laws 2001 Punto Mia has just arrived at our house for Mothers Day with the engine management light on and a complaint that the car wouldn't do more than 30 mph! It starts okay but sure enough must have about 15 of its 60 bhp in operation. Any ideas folks? The nearest Fiat dealer is 70 miles away! Thanks
Right I went out and 'poked around'. Ignition leads go into two little square boxes (coils?). I removed each set of two and the second two seemed to have no effect on the poor running of the car. I have a 1999 damaged Punto in the garage. Are the parts inter changeable?
Punto in limp home mode - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suspect that the engine management Ecu is faulty.This is a very common problem on puntos of this year (&onwards).Loss of spark on 2 cylinders is usually the symptom.Unfortunately not a cheap fix -upwards of £250.The ecu is bolted to the top of the air intake system;2 screws & 2 multi-pin connectors.
Scary! Does this then have implications for the key/immobiliser if the ecu is changed? Of course she has also lost the red key years ago ....
Punto in limp home mode - elekie&a/c doctor
On the plus side ,coding is not reqd when the ecu is replaced,only a relearn sequence is neccessary without any special diagnostic equipt.
Punto in limp home mode - bell boy
apart from a dammed good thrashing.
can i suggest when problem fixed that you get in laws to shoot this car as these punto mk2 "s seem to be more trouble than they are worth (and i have a soft spot for them)
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Well yes actually. If we ever get it going again she has her eye on a Hyundai Getz. Whats a 2001 Punto 1.2 8v Mia with 42000 miles worth then? This thread suggests several hundreds to be spent on the Punto in the mean time!
Punto in limp home mode - mr_b
www.auto-diagnostic-codes.com
have a look on here may be of some use
Punto in limp home mode - Collos25
apart from a dammed good thrashing.
can i suggest when problem fixed that you get in laws
to shoot this car as these punto mk2 "s seem to
be more trouble than they are worth (and i have
a soft spot for them)
--
"a little man in a big world/"

I have found that puntos are far more reliable than for example DB and Renault in fact the two Puntos in the family of this ilk have had only a temp sensor go in 5 years.Thats more can be said for the E class we have just disposed of due to it liking for spare parts.
Punto in limp home mode - Big John
Change the coil pack first as these can fail giving symptoms of 2
2 cylinder running, it MAY fix the problem. It may also be the ECU, but it is usually a faulty coil pack that damages(spikes) it in the first place.