Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - scruffythedog118
Vectra 2.2TDi LS 16v Auto Diesel Hatchback

Have recently purchased this car, it is a 2003 (03) plate and it has covered 34k and has the ECOTEC engine, some advise please.....

It seems to me to be drinking the diesel very heavily and I have now filled it up three times since Ive had it and on each occassion it is struggling to make 300 miles before the low fuel light appears.

seems a bit heavy to me, have got it booked in for a FULL service as the previous service by Vauxhall at 33k only did the oil and filter and nothing else (before I bought it) and will have all filters changed etc. to see if this increases MPG at all.

what sort of mileage to others get out of this same type of car / engine please ?

will put in some redex to see if that has an effect cleaning the injectors maybe ?

I listen for your advise !
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Roly93
I had a SaaB 93 sport saloon with this engine. It is rather an 'agricultural' engine but robust I think. You dont mention actual MPG here, but I would say that on motorway runs keeping at say 80 or below, you should be getting say 44mpg and your combined mpg should be at least 40. These are realistic acheivable figures, as this engine isnt the most economical diesel by a long chalk. If the mpg is right down, it could be a problem with the MAF sensor, the symptoms being loss of power and black smoke. Other than a new air filter, it is unlikely any service activity or injector cleaning would improve the mpg, unless the injectors are truly horrificly dirty.

Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - machika
I would say a combined figure of 40 mpg is perhaps a little optimistic for an auto. We have never achieved that with our C5, the best being around 37 mpg. However, you are suggesting nothing like mid forties, assuming the fuel tank on your car is about the same size as the one on the C5. Have you made a note of how much you are putting in the tank when refuelling? Do you fill it to the brim?
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Bill Payer
I have a diesel auto Mercedes (C270CDi). Around town, say 5 mile journeys, it struggles to do 30MPG. On the motorway, driving for max economy, it'll do 50MPG. These are both trip computer figures, which are probably a bit optimistic.

I don't know how the Merc and Vaux would compare, but getting the Merc off the line always seems like a huge effort (hence is heavy on fuel) and it takes ages (like 40 miles) for the fuel consumption to settle down (there's an instantaneous display) after a cold start.
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Dynamic Dave
My 2.2 petrol Vectra on urban runs can manage 320 - 340 miles on a full tank of petrol (61 litre tank)

Being that this is a diesel, I would have expected better fuel economy than my car does.

If it's got a fuel computer, don't rely on the figures too much as I've often found mine to be incorrect.
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - barchettaman
Scruffy, have you checked the tyre pressures? Just a thought.
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - machika
My 2.2 petrol Vectra on urban runs can manage 320 -
340 miles on a full tank of petrol (61 litre tank)
Being that this is a diesel, I would have expected better
fuel economy than my car does.

His car is an auto though, so any comparison has to be adjusted for this, unless your Vectra is an auto too?
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Adam {P}
Dave's Vectra is an auto.
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Dynamic Dave
Dave's Vectra is an auto.

/\\ As he says /\\
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - gbr
My signum 2.2dti auto returns a steady 44mpg over the last two years.. hope this helps... regards.
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Lud
Might be a sticky auto too, changing up too late or not at all... friend had a petrol BMW 520 auto that more or less gave up using top gear.
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - scruffythedog118
WOW ! and thanks for all your help, I will answer as many questions in order as I can.

Roly93 - maf sensor ? I have no loss of power,& no black smoke

Machika - I always fill right up to the topand wait until approx 10 miles after low fuel light appears before filling up again, so always fair comparisions

Barchettaman - tyres, check all and all correct

Lud - it has a brand new auto box which has just been installed by vauxhall under warrenty and it changes up really lovely and gets into 5th very quick, it was changed because I was getting the "car with spanner light" then loss of all movement in either D or R or any gear in manual, just loads of revs but no go.

Generally I am at a loss with this car as it is the second vauxhall I've had and both have been a pain for one reason or the other, I thought maybe? - Doh, I was wrong !

My passat 1.9 TDi Auto returned so many nore miles to a full tank of diesel that this car is depressing me, and before anyone asks they are both 60 litre tanks cos the most I ever manage to fit in is 55 / 57 litres.

I think I will have to RID of this one as well, anyone interested ?
Vectra 2.2TDi 16v Auto MPG ??? - Roly93
Generally I am at a loss with this car as it
is the second vauxhall I've had and both have been a
pain for one reason or the other, I thought maybe? -
Doh, I was wrong !
My passat 1.9 TDi Auto returned so many nore miles to
a full tank of diesel that this car is depressing me,
and before anyone asks they are both 60 litre tanks cos
the most I ever manage to fit in is 55 /
57 litres.

I have an A4 with the same engine as the Passat, and these engines are very hard to beat for efficiency hence MPG, due to the unique Pumpe Duse injection system. Although this has been around for a while, even the most 'state of the art' diesels only return around the same mpg as the VAG 1.9 PD engine. Certainly the GM 2.0 and 2.2 diesels will never match the 1.9PD and I'm hearing that the Fiat derrived 1.9 diesel now used in Vauxhalls whilst MUCH better still isn't super-economical.