Criteria for calculating towing capacity - wobblyboot
Hi there, I've done a bit of Googling for this, but haven't got anywhere. I've always wondered how the towing capacity of a vehicle is calculated by the vehicle manufacturer. I believe that it is a function of gradability, and to a lesser extent, engine power, but are any other criteria specific to the vehicle taken into account? Any one know?
After some thought, 'gradeability' is surely the correct spelling?
Criteria for calculating towing capacity - mrmender
No matter what manufactures recomend i always go by the caravan club recomendations that what ever you tow should not be more than 80% of the weight of the tow vehicle.
Ok i confess i'm a caravaner & own a rover!... Does that mean that i cpould be banned from this forum!
Criteria for calculating towing capacity - L'escargot
Ok i confess i'm a caravaner & own a rover!... Does
that mean that i cpould be banned from this forum!

For admitting to owning a Rover, definitely! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Criteria for calculating towing capacity - Collos25
It should be by and is by law what the manufacturers say.
Andy, have a look at the Highway Code...Anyway, that's not why I asked, I'm just interested in how the towing weight for a vehicle is worked out.
Thanks HJ, that's what I was after, do you know if a physical test is performed, or is it a theoretical calculation? I've got an image of lots of people sitting in a car whilst someone keeps adding weights to a trailer...
Criteria for calculating towing capacity - Number_Cruncher
Although I don't know this for a fact, I would be extremely surprised if this were tested rather than being calculated.

However, there were calibrated test hills at MIRA when I was last there 7 years ago.

Number_Cruncher
Criteria for calculating towing capacity - MoodyGit
The Caravan Club recommendations are primarily for er.. towing caravans.

The stability of a combination is more down to number axles and the way it's loaded than simply the weight.

I think the manufacturers' calculations are the based on the ability to start on a 12% gradient (approx 1:8).
Consequently, my Shogun Sport is so low geared that its max tow is way over its kerb weight!