Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GTI 1. - Webbman
I want to replace my wooden gear knob and i have seen a nice looking aluminium one, the question is , is it easy to unwind the current one?...it looks fixed to the stick itself?.....any tips?..or examples on how to change it?..

cheers

Webbman
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - Piers
Don't bother. Aluminium gearknobs are freezing to use in winter. The only minus in my girlfriends MINI is the chrome ring on the gearknob - gives you a cold shock everytime you change gear.

If you do change it get one shaped like a pistol grip - makes your gearchanges 0.2 of a second quicker - watch the 0-60 times tumble.....

Piers
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - ian (cape town)
I broke the gearknow on my old car, and they wanted an arm and a leg to sell me a new one.
All the 'universals' looked absolute tack, so I eventually just drilled and splined a pool ball (bought for a few bob from the local pub, which had half a set - obviously other people with broken gearshifts had nicked them!)
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - Big Vern
ian (cape town) wrote:
>
> I broke the gearknow on my old car.....

Just how do you go about breaking a gearknob?
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - ian (cape town)
Long plastic thing (86 BMW)
only the bottom 1/3rd attached to the lever.
I think years in the sun weakened the plastic
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - Pat
Yes, the gear lever broke off on my 1987 320i, leaving a jagged stump about two inches long. Replacement, at dealers, was a pretty forceful pull off-push-on process.

Pat
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - Rob F
They do unscrew.
Re: Replacing new aluminium gear knob on a Golf GT - Ronnie Courtney
Big Vern

I don't know about breaking a gearknob (or even a "gearknow", Ian!) but I was once the mesmerised back seat passenger in a Vauxhall leaving a party at about 4 am on a freezing cold New Year's Day in Kent. The husband (totally unfit to drive and in the front passenger seat) decided, for reasons unknown, that the wife (totally sober, by prior arrangement, and already in the driver's seat) should not drive.

A huge argument ensued, with much barging between the two front seats, with both gripping the steering wheel. The inevitable happened, brute strength prevailed as the husband got his way and was left holding the steering wheel - as both spokes broke with a resounding crack! Perhaps fortunately, the gear lever did not seem to get in the way .....

No molegrips available (as in used in South African taxi story in an earlier thread of Ian's) and it was about 8 am before we finally managed to get a taxi, and days before they got a new steering wheel.

Ronnie

PS Yes, they are divorced now.