C-Max 1.8 TDCi? - Phil Garner
I am looking into these and prviously thought the cmax only came with the Ford/PSA 1.6 TDCI or the Ford 136PS 2.0. Now I look around for discounted ones and see they are offered with the 1.8 TDCI as well. I assume this is the same unit as in the Focus?

Why are they offering this engine as well? It only has a few more hp than the 1.6 unit, but I guess it doesn't have the particulate filter for ultra low emissions of that unit. I seem to remember HJ saying something about supply problems of the 1.6 unit. Is this the cause?
C-Max 1.8 TDCi? - cheddar
Although the 1.8 engine can trace its routes back a good 10 years or more and is mechanically basically the same engine as fitted to Mk 1 Mondeo Diesels it was transformed in the Focus in 2001 when fitted with the TDCi CR injection system. I have done 1500 miles in a brand new C-Max with the Ford/PSA 1.6 TDCi unit and have also driven an old Focus (pre 2005) with the 1.8 unit and would say that the 1.8 compares favourably in refinement terms as well as feeling a fair bit more torquey, its economy is likely to compare well too.

That being said the does 1.6 does perform impressively in the C-Max which is a fairly large car though I found it a bit thrummy compared to my Mondeo TDCi 130, perhaps it would settle down after a few more miles.

C-Max 1.8 TDCi? - cheddar
Just to clarify the 2.0 in the new Focus and C-Max is also a Ford/PSA unit closely related to the 1.6 and not the 2.0 unit found in the Mondeo and X-Type.