Clutching at straws-thanks one and all - Colin Standing
The Deadwood Stage is on the road again thanks to Mark, KB,Richard Hall, John S and Direct Line. Remember - the clutch had no effect. Progress report.

Your combined help enabled me to isolate the problem to a seized clutch, then the fun started. In the limited space available before I would have been completely blocking the A6, I kangarood about 15 metres to no effect, and was then reminded by my lovely wife that SHE pays Direct Line to solve such boring and mystical problems. I wasn't enjoying this at all, so took the advice.

Forty five minutes, five fags and coffees later, up came a lad I recognised in his big truck. Unlike me, he clearly loves such challenges, grabbed the keys to the van and juddered off. How he controlled it to join the main road without a clutch I do not know, but he disappeared for fully 15 minutes but returned with clutch and flywheel still happily joined together. That was Friday.

Just had a call to say he thinks the eventual saviour (banging it up and down every pothole having had no effect at all) was heat, generated by driving fast up and down the M6. His other tip was that if I will insist on not driving the van regularly I should weight the clutch down.

So there you are and thanks again.

Colin S
Re: Clutching at straws-thanks one and all - KB
Good of you to come back with an update. Thank you.

KB.
Re: Clutching at straws-thanks one and all - ian (cape town)
Marvellous to hear, Colin! Glad you are mobile, and the backroom got the diagnosis right.

However:
Colin Standing wrote:
>
> (banging it up and down every pothole having had no effect at
> all)

Just so long as we don't have a
"How do I fix a duff suspension" thread in the next few days...
:)
Regards
I
Re: Clutching at straws-thanks one and all - John S
Colin

Glad it's fixed. Must have been severely rusted up. Probably the recent wet weather was a factor.

Regards

john S