Hole in windscreen - Mikey Jay
A small deep hole resulting from a stone has appeared on the windscreen. I do not have windscreen insurance. Can I fill it with epoxy resin? Or what is best? Regards, Mike.
Hole in windscreen - Collos25
Halfords do a special kit with a syringe you could also get it repaired at Autoglass.Do not put epoxy resin as the screen needs to be clean for the permenant repairs to work.
Hole in windscreen - splash
Definitely do not use epoxy resin. As it cures it shrinks and may cause more cracking on the screen. It also discolours leaving a nasty brown mark that you cannot remove.

(Note for the same reason, never stick mirrors that fall off back on with expoxy resin. It will shrink, causing cracks and break the glass !!)
Many thanks. Ok I won't use epoxy resin!I'll get the kit from Hafords or go to Autoglass. Cheers, Mike.
Hole in windscreen - volvo t5
Try calling around a few windscreen repair dealers such as autoglass and autowindscreens as a couple of them have recently had an offer on where they repair bulletholes for free as long as they ain't too deep.
Hole in windscreen - Peter D
Where on the screen is the damage. If it is in an area you look through quite often them forget it the optical abberration through the repair is very obviuos never mind the windscreen wiper performance over the repair. Buy a new screen. Regards Peter
Hole in windscreen - L'escargot
Buy a new screen.

I would only get a new screen if it was absolutely necessary.

Apart from the cost, I've had two bad experiences with screen changes. In the course of the first the paintwork got damaged ~ admittedly the screen company paid my insurance excess for the paintwork repair but it was still all extra aggro. On the second occasion the replacement screen had to be removed and then re-bonded into position as it didn't seal correctly in the first attempt and it left a path for rain to leak into the car. Also pattern part replacements may be cheaper but they are rarely as good as genuine spares.
--
L\'escargot.
Hole in windscreen - L'escargot
Try calling around a few windscreen repair dealers such as autoglass
and autowindscreens as a couple of them have recently had an
offer on where they repair bulletholes for free .....

I agree that Mikey Jay should try and get it repaired. Damage as large as a 50 pence piece diameter can generally be satisfactorily repaired.

I've just had a "bullseye" repaired, and whist it was free to me this was because the repairer billed my insurer direct and my insurer didn't ask for the excess ~ which they would have done had I had a new screen. Encouraging drivers to have minor damage repaired, instead of claiming for a new screen, helps keep insurance claims down and hence helps keep premiums down.

--
L\'escargot.
Thanks for the replies. The hole is very small but deep under the tax disc.Cheers, Mike.