Engine cleaners - martin
Was wondering whether these engine de-mucking products which you add just prior to an oil change are worth while. I need to change engine oil and would like to give show care towards the engine generally anyway. Halfords have a few on offer for diesels. Any thoughts?

thanks
Re: Engine cleaners - Nick Ireland
I think I have heard that, in an old engine at least, they can loosen stuff which is doing no real harm and then it can finish up blocking small oil pipes and galleries in the cylinder head etc. I am sure that you will get some more informed comments but I really would check before doing it. Flushing oil is another matter but I believe that the 'cleaners' can be a bit savage!
Re: Engine cleaners - Chris Eglinton
I suggest that if you have an engine with many miles on its back, you take great care in using these type of products. You could shift carbon that builds up on the piston rings and start using a lot os oil. If you have a new new car, its a good habit to get into.

Chris.
Re: Engine cleaners - martin
it's a Passat with 144k on the clock, FSH, but i have heard that frequent oil changes and lovin care will keep it going for a while yet.

Is it likely to cause any problems doing this treatment, the carbon deposits will probably be removed and so i guess oil cunsumption could rise markedly?
Re: Engine cleaners - Chris Eglinton
Just stick to reglar oil changes including filter, every 5000 miles
Re: Engine cleaners - ian (cape town)
There used to be the old trick (still used by some, i believe) of replacing the sump-plug, pouring in a gallong of paraffin, and cranking the motor a few minutes with the coil disconnected.
The paraffin used to pick up a lot of cr*p, allegedly, and was then drained off, before filter/new oil replacement.
Sounds v. dangerous to me, though
Re: Engine cleaners - martin
ian, that sounds like positive madness!!!!!!! Do you know of anyone who actually did this? Can't say i'll be putting parafin in the VW engine in the near future or ever. I think perhaps these cleaners can be a bit ruthless anyway, so maybe i should stick to oil changes!
Re: Engine cleaners - David W
I will fully respect anyone who is at odds with this but......

Not keen on these flushing additives myself, unless they are used to try and cure a specific problem. If I want to "flush" an older engine I will just change the oil for a reasonable 10/30 and run that for about a week before changing again for whatever suits the car.

I do think this will bring out as much of the deposits as you want to see shifted mid-life.

My theory is that this oil is in such a short time it picks up some of the contamination but doesn't get dirty enough to start re-depositing crud. Even if I'm completely wrong it keeps me happy and doesn't cost a fortune.

David