Honda Legend 2.7 - David Millar
It's Monday morning and another weekend spent checking out the sub-£1000s for brother-in-law who wants something smart which can sit on the drive for a few days in between the odd 40-50 miles paid excursion for work, plus the usual weekend visiting in-laws. The last 5-cylinder Audi Coupe I found him, lasted 4-5 years.

Sunday I looked over an outwardly smart 1988 Honda Legend 2.7 coupe at £995 (dropped to £850 because I was the third of the weekend to look at it). All the electrical bits work (AC/sunroof, cruise control, seats, mirrors etc) and it is outwardly a smart silver car with a few minor bumper scuffs. Service history with Honda to 50K and local garage thereafter to present 93K with a 75K timing belt change. Front tyres are mismatched Kleber and Michelin MX which isn't so good and there are a couple of windscreen nicks but not to MOT fail size.

The main thing worrying me about an otherwise heavily loaded fast coupe is that the bulkhead on the right hand side has rusted through on the forward edge, apparently from water running off the windscreen and being trapped under a plastic cover. There is about six inches breadth of complete rot on the fold. Just underneath is the windscreen wiper motor and the bulkhead seems solid there but it is impossible to see under the plastic cover without a lot of unscrewing and removal. Does anyone know if this is a common fault on Legends and is the rust under the cover likely to extend as far back as the windscreen base?

I will probably pass on this car but will probably continue to look for a Legend coupe so any hints appreciated.

David
Re: Honda Legend 2.7 - Alex M
As a general rule, Hondas are very reliable, but when something does go wrong it can get very expensive, very quickly (especially with the fancy ones like the Legend). (I know from experience with a 1989 Prelude).

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice on that car (there aren't that many around), but if you're buying a car of that age, personally, I'd go for something that isn't going to be such a drain on resources to fix as and when bits start going wrong.

Alex.