Volvo V70 2.4 D5 Oil - Peter D
Can anyone direct me to what the recommended type and grade of oil should be used in a 2002 V70 2.4 D5. I ask this as the owner of a car I am considereing bying has insisted that Castrol Magnetic was used ( He Supplied ) at every service since it was new. Thanks Peter
Volvo V70 2.4 D5 Oil - puggered
i always use a 10w/40 oil. its good all round oil for nearly all newer car. as for makes theres not much in it really. a semi- thin. will be ok. i use whatevers on offer. btw the last lot i used was vauxhall's own branded stuff which i brought in bulk from a main dealer as it was being sold 4 for 3 on 5lt bottles. and in the end worked out cheaper than going to Halfords.
Volvo V70 2.4 D5 Oil - nortones2
Perhaps best to follow the manual, or, assuming you've not got access, have a look at this site:www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13175
Volvo V70 2.4 D5 Oil - jimmyw
Peter

Has the car been serviced at a Volvo dealer? they would use fully sythetic as recommended by Volvo so why supply castrol?
Also its not likely a independent would have the correct diagnostics for sevice so who has been servicing?
Also drive the car at low speed and rock the steering wheel,
listen for a clicking noise,if you hear it the drop links are needing replaced.
I have owned 2 d5s and had no trouble (apart from drop links which go at about 30,000.)
I would imagine if you take magnetic to a garage the mechanic will keep it and put there draught oil in anyway!
Volvo V70 2.4 D5 Oil - Peter D
I have spoken to the garage and I think that is what is whot they did and they do remember the guy. Thats for the tips. Regards Peter
Volvo V70 2.4 D5 Oil - jimmyw
Here is another tip,the service interval on a 2002 is 12000 mls.
At this they will change the pollen filter on the A.C.
The service interval on a 2006 is 18000 mls.
Same pollen filter @ 35 + vat.
Only let them change the pollen filter every 2nd service.
Also the brake fluid is recommended to be changed at 2yrs.
This is incase condensation has allowed water to form.
This is bad for 2 reasons,your abs, and, water will boil and steam can be compressed,not good in a brake system.
However a tool can be purchased for checking the brake fluid for under 10 pounds.
A brake fluid change is 70.
I dont condone skimping on the brake system,but ask a mechanic what he would do and make your own mind up.
Also on full lock you may here a knocking, its only the plastic bump stops needing grease,there white plastic on the steering arm.
.*******
Regards Jimmy