Attention any bikers out there - Miller
I am considering learning to ride a bike but am a total novice with no experience. Is it possible to learn everything from CBT to passing your test on a 500cc machine in the space of a 5 day intensive course?, and what would the cost roughly be?, I'd hope to have some change out of 500 quid!

Any info greatly appreciated.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Concerned
Put by £400 of it for Privare Health Care insurance
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Concerned
r=t
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Miller
Hello concerned, I won't be heading off to buy a superbike, I just thought of it as more of a hobby for the future when I have some spare cash, and I know you cannot underestimate these machines or you will end up getting hurt.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Tom Shaw
Most courses for bikes are about 5 days, I'm not sure about the cost now but my wife was quoted £550 for CBT and Direct Access about 18 months ago. We lived on the edge of The Smoke at the time, so I would think a going with a school in more rural area would bring the price down a bit.

Forget the doommongers, with apologies to Concerned, do it and enjoy a whole new way of life!
Re: Attention any bikers out there - ian (cape town)
Miller, the operatuive word is "learn". A search on this channel will reveal a lot aboy motorcycling, and car drivers' attitudes to them.
Situational awareness is the most important thing.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - THe Growler
You'll be a lot better car driver when you've mastered two wheels.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Dave N
If you're not in any rush, you can do the cheaper, lower capacity course, then just hang on for 2 years till you can ride what you like.

I think they're a good £500 for the 500cc course.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - paul
Lifesavers are without doubt just what they say, however I find that a full face helmet and the realities of urban riding preclude their use 60% of the time(pulling away from stationary excluded). Most accidents develop ahead of you, and I've found your time is better spent reading the road.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Pete W
Do yourself a favour and try CBT and a couple of months on a 125 to get some experience first. With no previous experience whatsoever you're just asking for trouble even if you have passed your 5 day test. You will quickly appreciate how other road users ( non-bikers ! ) treat two wheelers, it is a completely different scenario on a bike. Even the response of a 500 is likely to be a shock if you've never been on a bike before and will take a couple of days to get used to I reckon.

I did my 5 day course after a few years of on /off motorbiking and agree with the above that it will make you a much better car driver.

I believe everybody should have a go because of this reason alone, it's great fun but don't be too eager to join the list of statistics. Take your time, nothing can replace experience and hours on the road. You say your in no rush anyway.

All the best, happy biking.

Pete
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Richard Hall
I did a year on a Yamaha DT125 trail bike before taking my test, and I can thoroughly recommend it. Little trail bikes are great fun in town - you sit at about the same eye level as a London taxi, which gives you a big advantage nipping through traffic. If you buy a nice tidy one, you shouldn't lose any money when you come to sell it.
Give yourself at least a year (in all weather conditions) on something relatively tame, even when you've qualified for something a little meatier. The experience you'll gain is invaluable. Oh, and when you're ready to move into R1 territory, call for a few insurance quotes before signing on the dotted line at the dealer.......
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Rob.
Was in the same situation as you about 18 months ago. Did a direct access course with a good motor bike instructor but i still managed to fail twice before finally getting my licence. Total cost of licence 750-800 quid. Then the real expenses started: Leathers, Helmet, Boots, Jacket, Gloves, Bike (2nd hand 600 cc Transalp), insurance, road tax, "D" lock, plastic cover and so on. Total cost including instruction: excess of 4000 quid. But I've never ever regretted it. Had some real fun and met some really nice and friendly and helpful people amongst the biking fraternity (oops, and sorority).
Take a tip from a learner/novice; try to learn something each time you take yr bike out, and ride as if you were under instruction/examination, you'll keep your licence and yr life.

Happy riding.
Rob
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Rob S
I reckon that ''Concerned'' was my wife under a pseudonym, I have recently returned to bikes after 18 years and she kept on about how well was I insured -and not the road insurance! A friend at work did the 5 day course a couple of years ago and it was about £500 then, I can only endorse all the comments of the others:

- it will make you a better car driver

- it won't be cheap

- drive a 400 or 500 until you have got some experience under your belt

- you'll find new and interesting ways to get to the same destination

- you'll have a great time!

Good luck!

Rob S
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Andrew
Test tip. Its all about "lifesavers", or whatever they might call them now. Make your lifesavers 100% of the time. You'll be glad you did one day.

A.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Andrew
I must have forgotten what I do them for, but mostly when turning, as when you are heading along straight there isn't any to do, except that silly one about looking to the left after passing parked vehicles.... so I see what you mean. i was really just wanting to emphasise to Miller the importance of the increased awareness needed lest you become another victim
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Brian
As many of the other posts have said, nothing beats experience, and even that is not infallible.
Remember that you become the invisible man to other road users and that your vision is going to be seriously impaired, particularly in darkness and rain.
But the "back to basics" feeling can be great, and you don't need a big bike for that, you can get it on a good 125 scooter just as well as on a 500 bike.
Brian (100k+ miles on bikes)
I think lifesavers were stressed by examiners by way of reminding bikers that you really do need to be aware, as far as possible, of all that going on around/infront/behind you. The previous contributions to this thread highlight the fact that you'll be a better driver as a result.
Re: Attention any bikers out there - Miller
Thanks for the advice everyone. I suppose after a couple of days of practice it will be up to the instructor to decide if I will be o.k. on the bigger bikes, I will let you know how I get on.
Re: "I will let you know how I get on" - Ronnie Courtney
Miller - I'm no expert, but I believe you have to start by getting your leg over ...

Enjoy the ride!

Ronnie
Re: "I will let you know how I get on" - ian (cape town)
Ronnie Courtney wrote:
>
> Miller - I'm no expert, but I believe you have to start by
> getting your leg over ...
>
> Enjoy the ride!
>
> Ronnie

Ronnie, he was talking about motorcycling, not indoor pursuits.
Re: "I will let you know how I get on" - THe Growler
I forgot to say if you end up with a Harley you're hooked for life.....
Re: "I will let you know how I get on" - Dave
Yes Miller you can do the lot in 5 days on a lowish power 500 such as a GS500.

I'd recomend this method.

I wouldn't bother sitting on a 125 at all. A 500 does everything a 125 can do - you simply don't beed to bother.

Might be worth you finding a course that's advertised as a 3 day but has the CBT on an extra day. That way you get a 4 day course but only pay for three.

*If* you were in Dorset I'd recommend the 'Pass school of motorcycling' in Charminster.

500 quid sounds about right. As always phone around to get the price down.

As a final point I wouldn't recoment 1-1 tuition. Going out with a group of two riders to one instructor seemed better. That way you got a while riding behind to see where your instructor was on the road.
Re: "I will let you know how I get on" - Dave
Yes Miller you can do the lot in 5 days on a lowish power 500 such as a GS500.

I'd recomend this method.

I wouldn't bother sitting on a 125 at all. A 500 does everything a 125 can do - you simply don't beed to bother.

Might be worth you finding a course that's advertised as a 3 day but has the CBT on an extra day. That way you get a 4 day course but only pay for three.

*If* you were in Dorset I'd recommend the 'Pass school of motorcycling' in Charminster.

500 quid sounds about right. As always phone around to get the price down.

As a final point I wouldn't recoment 1-1 tuition. Going out with a group of two riders to one instructor seemed better. That way you got a while riding behind to see where your instructor was on the road.
Re: "I will let you know how I get on" - Ronnie Courtney
Ian - Oh dear! I now realise that there may have been a *teensy-weensy* bit of ambiguity in my advice to Miller.

Now that you have been kind enough to point that out, whatever happened to the great outdoor image of all those Jaapies?

Regards

Ronnie