VW Polo Wont go over 3000 revs - lilleybet
Hi

I wondered if anyone could offer me any advise, I currently have an W Reg Petrol VW Polo which till recently drove perfectly. However lately Ive been finding that I can be going along and the car will suddenly lunge then the rev counter wont go over 3000 revs, I've also occationally started having problems with it turning over first time (not sure if this is perhaps connected)but it's like the car is going into a safety mode. I've taken it into a local garage where they've carried out a diagnostic check however they havent been able to solve the problem - this is causing me some serious upset and stress as I bet anyone can understand so I would seriously appreciate any ideas as to what could be the possible cause.
VW Polo Wont go over 3000 revs - Screwloose
lillybet

You could be right about going into "safety-mode." There's an awful lot of different versions of the various sizes of engines on that year: have you any idea of the three-letter engine code? [Inside front cover of service book?] Or how many valves or horsepower it is?

What type/octane of unleaded do you run it on? Did the garage give any indication of what fault-codes they found? What's the mileage?
The three letter engine code is AKK, it's an 8 valve and 75 bhp with a milage of 59952. I run it on standard bp unleaded unfortunatly the garage didnt advise me of any fault codes found - they were unable to pinpoint the cause and of course the problem didnt occur when they took it for a test drive. Any advise you'd be able to offer would be grately received.
VW Polo Wont go over 3000 revs - Dynamic Dave
Can't verify this for a Polo, but when Vauxhalls cannot go above 4500 rpm, it's usually down to the camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor being at fault.
VW Polo Wont go over 3000 revs - Nick Field
Just an idea, a friend of mine had a similar problem with an Astra and it turned out (after hours of fiddling) to be a partially blocked exhaust.
VW Polo Wont go over 3000 revs - Screwloose
lilleybet

Thanks for the engine code - makes identifying things a lot easier and eliminates a lot of potential faults which only afflict other engines. However, without anything other than a lurch and then a suspected "limp-home" condition to go on, it makes advising a little difficult: literally dozens of faults could cause that.

One possible cause is the brake-light switch; sounds odd, but on your engine it's connected to the engine-management system and they do fail or come loose. [Do the brake-lights work correctly?] Another frequent failure is the sensor that measures the pressure in the engine's intake; it's called a MAP sensor.

If at all possible; try and get details of the fault-codes from the garage. They are crucial in getting to the bottom of this.
VW Polo Wont go over 3000 revs - tonyglover9
nice one screwloose the best is the brake switch
Hi

Thanks for the advise, I took my car into my local VW garage on Friday and had the brake switch replaced however the problem is still occuring however it seems to be more frequently. It also only seems to occur on longer journeys anything over a 10 minute drive. I wondered if you perhaps had any other ideas as to what may be the cause.
I wondered if anyone could offer any advise, as this is causing me some serious destress...help would be grately appreciated!!